Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Shaving a neck

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Ryan Berry, Aug 22, 2002.

1. I just got a Geddy Lee Jazz that has the fastest neck i've ever played. The thing is, i have a Cort Curbow 6 string that is much bigger (from front to back, not the width of the neck). I dont really have much of a problem switching between the 2, but shaving the neck down would probably make the Cort feel a lot easier to play. The question is, how do i go about doing this? Is it something that a pro should do? Will it cost a lot? Is it just not a very good idea all together?

BTW - I'm not worried about ruining the resale value, i've already defretted it so the resalr probably plummetted anyway.

2. i want this done on my warwick.i went to a place were the do stuff liek this and they looked at me funny like no one ever did it to a neck befor.iam pretty sure as long u dont take too much off it will be fine.

3. Ive been turning Precision necks into Jazz necks here lately and it's not as hard at you might think. I dearly love my '62 Jazz re-issue necks and wanted that profile for some other take-off necks that I've got for projects.

I use a surform (pronounced "sure-form"). It's a strange name for a sort of plane that instead of having one single blade is actually a metal plate with dozens of openings, each with it's own little planing surface. Sort of hard to describe. I use a 5" flat model similar to a regular palm plane and a smaller 2" square version with a paintbrush sort of handle. With these and some sandpaper, I can recontour a fairly thick P neck into a sweet pre-CBS profile in about 45 minutes. There are other tools you can use too, like a drawknife, belt sanders, and other tools that require more attention. The surforms take off plenty with each stroke but it's very controllable so, if you're careful, you won't screw up the neck. They cost around $5 at home improvement stores and are made by Stanley.

4. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Hambone nails it! The Surform is a great tool for this purpose... Kinda like a cheese grater for wood. The blades are replaceable which is very nice...

If I read you correctly, you are wanting to slim the neck from front to back... One caution is to take very little at a time. Some truss-rod slots are routed deeply into the neck, and if you shave into this area, the neck may be done for... Just take it slow and learn as you go!

-robert

5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    you could always use nair.