Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Shavo from System of a Down...

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by jmula, Mar 13, 2002.

1. jmula

jmula

Mar 13, 2002
    Herkimer NY
    What kind of guitar does shavo f/ SOAD play???

It looks like a gothic gibson explorer, but i dunno

sum1 reply

2. NioeZero

NioeZero

Sep 2, 2001
    Shavo plays Gibson Thunderbird basses.

3. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Do a search, this is the second thread on this in the last two weeks!

It's a Gibson Nikki Sixx signature thunderbird bass. A gothic explorer is a guitar, not a bass.

4. FearOfGodX

FearOfGodX

Nov 8, 2001
    just wondering what you guys think of him. He's got some really fun to play bass lines, and he's got a real tight sound...if you don't believe me just try and play Aerials, it sounds all purdy but it's easy.

5. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Yeah, he's pretty good, to bad he doesnt write his own lines. It kinda shows that the guitarist writes most of them, no personality

6. FearOfGodX

FearOfGodX

Nov 8, 2001
    Yea, I was thinking that. I don't know much about Guitar, but that Daron guy sounds mighty talented, and I hear he is like on lists of top 100 guitarists of all time and stuff like that already...

7. FunkFlo-Mofo

FunkFlo-Mofo

Jun 22, 2001
    Yah, I like playing alot of those System lines. Do you really think ALL of those lines are written by Malakain? Cause there're a couple of songs where he lays down a pretty kewl groove, like Metro from the Dracula 2000 soundtrack.

8. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    daron to me is insane.......
    if youve ever seen em live youll understand why
    Daron doesn't do solos at 1000notes per second but who cares.. the way he plays.. just blows me away sometimes....hes not the best.. but hes pretty damn good.. and that might be a understatement ..
    shavo is pretty kool.. just wondering if he was going for the scott ian look or sumfin?.. i like his bass.. i want one.. lol
    its a gibson thunderbird in ebony finish.. i think there around 1500 lol thats what ive seen em for.. they sound real nice =D

9. Shavo kicks ass...not too flashy but keeps the song tight, and has mad energy on stage.

10. NioeZero

NioeZero

Sep 2, 2001
    "The Metro" from the Dracula soundtrack is originally a Blondie song. He didnt write that line, either.

11. JBDammit

JBDammit

Nov 24, 2001
    Athens, Alabama
    And Musicians Friend has that bass (Nikki Sixx sig.) for $699.

12. The Nikki Sixx is really kewl, I just wish it had some more controls that just an On/Off switch.

13. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I highly doubt Daron is on ANY "top 100 list" of any kind. He's nothing special. Live, he's pretty bad because he's very, very sloppy. I have a couple live videos on my computer, and in all of them both Daron and Shavo lose time, hit wrong notes, start playing the wrong SECTION, and in one case Daron even stops playing for a couple seconds. Very, very sloppy. If you can't do it live...