Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

shavo odadjian of soad

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Toony, Dec 12, 2001.

1. Toony

Toony

Jun 15, 2001
    Texas
    yeah you know, the ugly guy with the braided beard. anyhow, i thinks he's a pretty good bassist, not the best but an influience to me in some sort. simple style, but good at it in my opinion. anyhow....

2. ColdYinTiger

ColdYinTiger

Jul 15, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I think he's pretty good myself, I like his tone alot and him and the guitarist are a good combo on the albums. Yea he isnt the best but he has some pretty cool lines that are fun to play

3. lemonadeisgood

lemonadeisgood

Aug 22, 2001
    Canada
    ~thumbs up~

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    That seems to be the general consensus...good for what he does, but not a great bassist. Personally, I really like him. Unlike some of my contemporaries, I though the First album was MUCH better than Toxicity, and that's where, when, and why I like him. His general style is one of the shaping factors of the way I play. Not his style, or anything, just the way he goes about filling his job with a certain amount of skill. That's why I cite him as an influence on my profile, because that's what his is, an influence.

5. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Yeah i agree. He is a good at what he does. He makes up riffs that are fun to play and are also kind of challenging at such a low tuning.

6. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Some of their music is kind of of and on for me, but I definitely like his tone. Very full, and he doesn't get totally buried in the mix.

7. Toony

Toony

Jun 15, 2001
    Texas
    brendan, i agree the first album was better as far as intensity, but toxicity is composed much better...as far as lyrics, the band and mixing goes. in my opinion anyhow. still prefer the first though.

so what's your favorite lines, since we admit they're fun to play? mine has to be soil from the first and science from toxicity. :D

by the way what's the guy playing now, anybody know. i think he was playing ibanez btb's and warwick thumbs off the first tour....but i saw a poster thing in warehouse music the other day with what looked like a MM or such....

8. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Aerials of Toxicity is good to play and since it is a serious song you can get out some emotion yourself (I know the sounds corny:D ). Shimmy, Prision song and the song that goes "we dont need to multiply". They are my favs of Toxicity, simply because i havent heard their last album.

9. ColdYinTiger

ColdYinTiger

Jul 15, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    He uses a Gibson T-Bird now, (Or was it a blackbird? Cant rmemeber) But my fave song to play would probally be Needles and Suger really fun songs to play, even if Suger is insanely easy.

10. I believe your talking about the song "X". Yeah I've been really getting into SOAD lately. The band as a whole was better on their first album. But Toxicity has more stuff going on. Everyone's tone got a little less heavy. Personally, to me, it seems that Daron (Guitarist) took a little more control in the studio.

11. SystemofatooL

SystemofatooL

Dec 15, 2001
    Sydney
    yeah, shavo's an aight bassist, i mean hes pretty good but ive heard better, howver as you can probably tell by my name, SOAD are on of my favourite bands, both of their albums are so cool

12. his tone in the intro to 'psycho' is pretty rockin'.

13. BassistJ

BassistJ

Mar 20, 2001
    Hemet, CA USA
    ...am I the only one that opened this thread thinking "Whoa, so Shavo is in anouther band besides System Of A Down"? :D

14. yeah you are :D

i think he is a good bassist and the band is very good live too.

15. SystemofatooL

SystemofatooL

Dec 15, 2001
    Sydney
    wo0o0o
    im off to see them live (twice) in less than a month
    i cant wait

16. Yeah I saw there live performance on Conan O' Brien. They did "Spiders". They seemed out of their element, but a great performance. It's funny because Daron started playing guitar before he does usually just to show off (or maybe he was sick of waiting) and you could see the singer's (who's name for some reason escapes me at the time, I SWEAR I KNOW IT!) eyes flash over at him like "What are you doing dude?" He seemed freaked.

17. SystemofatooL

SystemofatooL

Dec 15, 2001
    Sydney
    serj

yeah, i get to see them play a headlining show, and a big day out show

18. SoggyTrousers

SoggyTrousers Guest

Jan 9, 2002
    Wayne, New Jersey
    *chuckles* Toxicity serious..."eating seeds is a passtime activity.." well anyway. Shavo is relatively average if i do say so myself. Hes fun to watch, has lots of energy, and sounds like cookie monster.:D

19. Soad kicks ass!
    I saw them on t.v when they played at Conan O'Brien..that was pretty cool. Shavo's simple but it's cool to play his stuff (P.L.U.C.K. and Spiders are my favs to play).
    I've always wanted to see them live but nooooo, I'm stuck here in Brazil, and no good bands come over 'cuz aparently it's too far away. Oh well...guess I'll hafta wait.
    And the SoaD songs I think are amazing are P.L.U.C.K. (Self Titled...I wanna see a crowd not move with that song :D ) and Toxicity from the album with the same name.
    It's cool to know these guys are getting the recognition they diserve..just hope they don't go "rock star" all uva suden and decide to make music only for the cash. (wich I really doubt..heheheh :D)

20. Yeah, SOAD's lyrics have seemed to went down the pooper since there first album. I like the vibe Toxicity puts out better though, the album as a whole stands out more that their first album. A perfect example of Toxicity's lyrics, the song "Bounce" is about being at an orgy with a bunch of girls. Very Political. And How about the song "Jet Pilot" I love that song, but "Wired were the eyes of a horse on a jet pilot, one that smiled when he flew over the bay." So, was he wacked out on acid and saw some crazy horse looking at a smiling jet pilot? But he goes on to talk about how his horse is a shackled old man, who was bummed because he didn't see the skies right before they turned grey and whatnot. Which makes it seem like it's another anti-war song and this jet pilot's getting a kick outta war or something. I don't know, a lot of the album doesn't make much sense to me. One thing that cracks me up, "Prison song" was written because Daron got busted for pot or something, so they write a song about how the prisons are filled with minor drug offenders and whatnot. I dunno, I've rambled for quite sometime, what can I say? I love these guys.