Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Shavo

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by CAM, Mar 14, 2003.

1. CAM

CAM

Mar 10, 2003
    mongo's house
    Does anybody know if Shavo from system of a down uses his thunderbird on the CD as Ive just learned that the guitarist uses a different guitar for live shows than the one for the CD

Also, does anyone know the set up Shavo generally uses (i know it may vary with each song) including amps and stuff etc

cheers Cam

2. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Do a search.

As I have already said in your other thread, Shavo played a ThunderBird for the whole record(Toxicity).

Shavo has been dicussed alot before, and if you would have done a search, it would have saved you alot of time, and you would not have had to post this thread.

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    He ain't no piece a beef.

4. I think he uses Ibanez on the record,I have a studio-shot of him where he is playing an Ibanez...I love that thunderbird he plays on stage *drools*

I dunno amps for the studio but he uses like 3-4 8x10 ampeg cabs on stage

-Jon:oops::p

5. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    You mean, you have a studio pic of him with a Thunderbird, and a live shot of him playing an ibanez. I know for a fact that he played the Gibson on the entire cd.

6. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    Crazy thought: maybe, at some point during the months of recording, Shavo picked up (gasp) another bass!

7. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    Hi
    yeah ibanez and thunderbirds and that nikki sixx sig bass are what ive seen him foolin around with. not sure what he uses to record but i have seen studio shots of him with ibanez and gibson.

anyone know exactly what guitars daron uses to record, ive seen the dbl neck sg and the LP he uses, and he has custom and not so custom ibanez iceman guitars. icx300's to be exact.

Lukas

8. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    .......He loved the lowend growl he could not get from any other bass. He only used a Gibson Thunderbird on the CD. only.

9. Taylor Livingston

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Is it really not conceivable to you that a guy might pick up a bass during the months of recording other than the one that he used to record? If I was stuck in a studio for that long, where there were probably tons of instruments around, I can't imagine I wouldn't play a bunch.

10. His live tone with those T-birs stinks !

His live BTB tone was great . I guess the Gibsons just don't handle the low notes as well .

11. CAM

CAM

Mar 10, 2003
    mongo's house
    If were gonna change the subject :)

Dude, ive seen system live countless times, and ive got to say (as with most if not all bassists) his tone is more clearly better and what he and the band wants on the cd.

Live his tone is rough, distorted and very low (emphises on rough and distorted)

....and theyre sloppy....very sloppy......but still one of THE BEST BANDS ive ever seen.

Now to get back to the point of this post...

I would more likely beleive that he plays the gibson on the Cd and exclusively. However, he probably would have picked up a few other basses (who wouldn't). But i still think ON THE CD its just the thunderbird.

ah and a thank you

Cam

12. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    It is.

13. Taylor Livingston

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    But what I really want to know is: what bass did he use on the cd? It may forever be a mystery.

14. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Hold on hold on,,,,,let me think.....let me think....

A Gibson Thunderbird.;)

15. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Shavo had a really cool bass in the Chop Suey video. It was shaped weird. What kind of bass was that?

16. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    Hi
    if its all black with little 'iron cross' silver inlays its a niki sixx if im not mistaken, if its got a white pickguard then its a thunderbird me thinks.

Lukas

17. CAM

CAM

Mar 10, 2003
    mongo's house
    A NIKKI SIXX IS A THUNDERBIRD

AND HE USED IT ONE THE CD AND LIVE (IT IS A SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT COLOUR BUT WHO GIVES A ****). ALTHOUGH LIVE HIS TONE IS NOT AS GOOD (OBVIOUSLY)

END OF POST

18. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Wait, wait. Somehow, I think I remember,,, um,,,yes. I know what it was. It was.

A Gibson Thunderbird.

But what i'm REALLY wondering, is what bass Shavo from System Of A Down plays. It's shaped real funny.

19. pc

pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    Maybe I'm wrong, but to me it looks like a Gibson Thunderbird.

20. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Well, whatever. I was thinking more along the lines of a Gibson Thunderbird.