Shazbot! 4 hour gig in 48 hr

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by nappingcracker, Jan 24, 2006.

1. So, talking to this promoter, he said "want to play on the 26th?" -- "sure" we says! But he does not confirm, nor respond, so we dont plan on it. Guitarist and contact to the guy gets an email --" so, see you thursday". What to do? Not prepared? Dont know a single cover? Have not been practicing for 3+ ~1hr sets? Take the gig of course!

Right? Trial by fire! I am so scared and psyched!
  2. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    that sounds like fun. I love challenges like that. you'll do great, relax.
  3. Yah, I told the guitarist to relay that they should find another band, but if not we would help him out (with the "understanding" that we did not know about the gig).

Why? Why not! How? That is a good question. I have no idea, things have been falling into our lap, thats why I am all for it - if we dont take the gig it'll break the cycle of breaks. Contracts? What is this word? We suck, but we suck just good enough to be able to wing it for hours... I think. Good thing is that we tend to get carried away with jams.

Is this just plain wrong?
  4. Wolfehollow

Jan 21, 2003
    Pensacola, FL
    Is that a Tribes reference or are you an old school shazbot?
  5. Both M&M and Tribes(2) [VGS]. My favorite obscure curse!
  6. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    How far away from "being prepared" are you?

If you are just a few tunes (or mayb even half a set) short of a full biggee...just re-play some from the first/second set and/or do extended jams on some.

If you only have one set can only extend a "Moby Dick" drum solo for so long. ;)

Sometimes winging it is exciting...but if someone hires you for a show and the band can't handle it, you may do more harm to the band's reputation than this one gig is worth.

So it depends...just how far away from "being prepared" are you?
  7. It feels like we are miles away, but the breakdown is:

1 set _solid_ originals
    ~1 set originals we have played before, a bit rough

As far as reputation goes, the promoter wants us on his circuit, even though I think he knows this is beyond our limits. I have no problem being a fool on stage (I have no shame), and my mates don't mind bombing it either (the drummer, with the most band/playing experience is more wary than the rest - brains'll hurt ya :)

I dont know, how much can it hurt? (funny, I ask my self this often before breaking my self snowboarding or bridge jumping, etc)
  8. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Out of how many sets for a gig's worth? 4 sets, 3 sets? If it's three sets, extended jams and long breaks combined with some repeats might get you through.

How much can it hurt? It depends. It could hurt your band A LOT, if you plan on giggin in the future. The last thing a gigging band needs is a reputation that you can't pull off an entire night. It might make others who might hire your band, leery that perhaps they won't get their money's worth.

From the looks of it, you are doing all originals. Maybe you could throw in some "quickly put together" covers in the same vein as your originals to pull you through this gig.
  9. Yah, at practice tonight, I am sure we will find some covers that the guitarist knows. That would probably be good for 3-4 songs. Which is worse - a "bad" cover (not _that_ bad), or improv jams?

"depends on the quality of the improv" - yes, but in general what does the audience think of improv? it is not a jazz club, kind of a dive bar that is trying to pull in a younger and more jammy type crowd

sooo subjective, i hate that!
  10. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    By "bad" cover I take it you mean a good cover song that you might not play all that well?

I've found that if you play an extremely popular cover tune, crowds don't care how badly they are played (in general).

"Gimme Three Steps" played horribly still seems to go over better than an extremely well done "Roundabout" by Yes.

You could take any well known cover song and do an extended jam on it and get more time out of it. If you guys have some good originals, then doing some fill is better than nothing. Bar owners HATE dead air, whether it's overly long breaks or way too much time in between songs.

Speaking of which, whoever sings should "work" the crowd in between songs. If done well, that should give you some extra time that wouldn't have to be filled with least for this gig anyway.

You could also fake some equipment failure and/or have the guitarist break a string...anything that borrows you some time if you can't fill it with music. I don't necessarily condone "lying" about it, but do what you gotta do. Kill the mains, or power to an amp (plug your bass amp into a power strip by the drummer where he can kill power to your head with his foot) and feign disgust while you feverishly "repair" the broken (yeah, right) culprit. Have the singer tell the crowd, "We're having a bit of equipment trouble so we're going to take a small break." Then play some recorded music through the PA while you "work on it".
  11. Yah I thinking some witty (read [mindless]) banter with the guit/singer would take some time, we play with a DJ (who sings for a few songs) and we figure he can scratch it up during a breakdown or 6.

I saw a "covers" thread here, I'll run this by the band to see who knows what.
  12. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Good luck.

At least you aren't playing it safe...should make for an interesting evening!
  13. Thanks!

Ouch :crying:

For sure!
    Learn fast, or die!
  14. Well, off to the practice space to grab mah gear...

<ominousvoice>It begins!</ominousvoice>

got my balls brassed up and ready to funk!
  15. we bombed and bumbled our way through, we all had some train wrecks....and killed it! still got paid, compliments all around, people smiling, women asking and remembering my name!

kicker? got an "in" at another bar in town, guy who came in during last set gave me the name of the "guy" at another local bar where he works, said he was going to put in a good word and we could drop his name!

i think i gained another level...
  16. britrit

Jan 22, 2006
    if it ever happens again, you can always just pull out some smells like teen spirit hehe :p
  17. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Nothing ventured, nothing gained. It's cool you had the balls to go for it!!!

Anytime you tackle something difficult, no matter how it turns out, you'll "gain another level". Major Kudos!
  18. play freebird!