1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

She-Ra's Shed

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by She-Ra, Aug 22, 2019.

1. She-Ra

She-Ra

Aug 19, 2019
    Toronto
    All About She-Ra's Shed

Motivation

"I'd love to be Erykah Badu/Maceo Parker's next bassist."

Hours Practiced Since 20/08/2019
    45 / 10,000

History
    So, I've fooled around on classical and jazz guitar when I was young. I didn't like it. I fooled around on drums for a bit in my late teens, but my parents said that they were too loud and I wasn't allowed. In my early/mid twenties, I fooled around with piano but I wasn't serious at all. But music has been the most important part of my life. Now, at 34, I think it's about time to get serious about it. I've always thought the coolest instrument in the world was the double bass and that's what I've decided to learn. However, due to having been hit by a car while cycling three years ago, my left shoulder is still fairly weak, which means that, now, starting out, I can only do short spurts on the DB. So I've decided to also learn electric bass, as the knowledge - theory and music wise - will transfer, even if the technique won't.

Why a Public Practice Log?
    Why not? It'll help keep me accountable. It'll allow other people to weigh in on what I'm doing and make suggestions. It'll maybe inspire others to practice more regularly. It'll be visible to any teacher that I'm working with now or in the future. I'm not sure there are any real downsides.

Also, you may ask why in the General Instruction forum? I actually messaged the admins and asked what the best place to put this would be (knowing it'd be something that'd be updated nearly everyday) and this is what their suggestion was.

Long Term Goals:

• I would like to learn to play both electric and the upright bass. (As of 20/08/2019, I am a beginner and have little facility on the instrument.)
    • Time commitment:
      • On regular days, my aim is to do a minimum of an hour of electric bass and an hour of double bass
      • However, reality being what it is - sometimes you're sick, sometimes you're busy, sometimes you're exhausted - I'm committing to at least some daily practice on any day that is feasible
    • I'm looking to become a proficient bassist, playing motown, blues, R&B, soul, funk, and rock on the electric bass and eventually go out and play some gigs
    • As well, I want to become a proficient upright jazz bassist and play in trio/quartet/quintet situations
    • I'm mainly interested in developing my sense of time, groove, and building supporting basslines, rather than becoming a flashy soloist/virtuoso. Though I aim to be able to hold a solo down if called for it.

Learning Materials

• Electric Bass
      • Scott's Bass Lessons is going to be my number one resource/lesson plan for electric bass. Yes, there's tons of free stuff online but I really dig the way he teaches and I can supplement with that free stuff. The most important thing in learning is to have a solid progressing plan and I feel like SBL offers that and it's worth the money.
      • In addition, I'm going to use some books
        • Bass Aerobics
        • Bass Hanon
        • The Bass Method series and the Walking Bass series by Ed Friedland
        • Classical Masterpieces for Bass
        • Standing in the Shadows of Motown
    • Double Bass
      • I have a teacher that I'm working with for double bass and seeing him twice/three times a month - he will be setting the big path for DB for me in terms of what stuff to focus on and whatnot.
      • I've also signed up for a few online courses with DiscoverDoubleBass, as well as John Pattituci's course at ArtistWorks for additional content and perspectives
      • I'm also going to be using some books
        • Simandl
        • Evolving Bassist 1 & 2
        • Walking Bassics
        • Building Jazz Bass Lines
        • The Jazz Bass Book
        • The Jazz Bass Line Book
    Goal Setting
    • I will be setting overarching goals for each year in terms of broad strokes that I want to cover. These will really be interpreted as an overall guidepost.
    • Concrete goals with deadlines are more important. I'll be setting goals weekly split into six categories, five suggested by SBL, plus one extra
      • Fretboard Viz & Application
      • Technique, Facility, & Articulation
      • Groove & Time
      • Theory
      • Genre Based
      • Transcription
    • At the end of each week, I'll look over what I've done, as well as my goals and assess whether or not I've met them
    • Any goals that haven't been met will be moved over to the next week, and next week will be planned accordingly.
    • As I learn new things, I may write them in explicitly as goals, despite the fact that they can be practiced with other things. Focusing on new things is important in order to lay down solid foundations. Afterwards, it's feasible to incorporate those things into other material being practiced and kill two birds with one stone, as it were.

Definition of DONE

If you've worked in software development, you'll have already groaned. I think we're all aware that in music, you're never really done studying anything - there's always room for improvement in some way. So for the purposes of marking off goals as done, I'm going to be using a fairly subjective, but very honest approach to marking something off as done. Even though something is marked as done, I know that there's more room to improve upon it but if something is marked as done, this means:
    • I've reached a level of playing proficiency that I'm comfortable with in the one week I've dedicated to this thing
    • I've learned the theory I'm studying to a level that I understand it (though I may not yet be able to apply it efficiently on my instrument)
    • I've practiced enough that I'm aware that moving on and then coming back is going to yield better results on something than just sitting on it and playing it like a mindless exercise.
    I think it's also important to point out, I'm mostly using "DONE" beside goals as a marker for myself rather than in any way to say I'm not returning to it, or that I think I don't need to practice it anymore.

Terminology & Tools Used
    In order to save time when doing my log, I'll be writing any terminology here.
    • All practice logs will be followed by a number in the format hh:mm in order to save time
      • "Learned x - 1:35" means that x was learned and it took an hour and 35 minutes
    • ASD - Amazing Slow Downer is an app used to slow down songs for transcription or play-along purposes
      • "Practiced x @ 78% ASD" means that x was practiced using Amazing Slow Downer and it was set to 78% of the original song speed.
    • BiaB - PG Music's Band-in-a-Box is a play along song generator. Enter your chords (and melody if you wish), choose a style of music, and it'll generate a complete arrangement based on the instruments you've opted to include. It has a lot of options - from soloists, to Real Tracks (actual people playing, rather than MIDI files), to trading 4s, to just... an overwhelming amount of options, all wrapped in a pretty terrible looking UI (on macOS at least).
      • When not at home, I can opt to use the much the iReal Pro iOS app that does a similar thing but significantly simpler, and poorer sounding.
    • Rocksmith - Ubisoft's Rocksmith 2014 Remastered is a Guitar Hero like video game that uses actual instruments to play the songs. It's a mixture of live tab and tutor and video game. It's weird, and it's boatloads of fun with some great tools for learning songs. I spend about 5 hours on CustomsForge grabbing some 500 custom songs off there to import into Rocksmith and learn/play along with. It's useful as a tool for learning repertoire in a different way, but NOT for learning theory. This is only supplemental to my other studies.

Hour Tracker

I'd like to log the overall amount of time practiced, and use the 10,000 hour rule as a yardstick. The 10,000 hour rule - that it takes ten thousand hours to master something - is actually a myth; the reality is far more complicated than what Malcom Gladwell misrepresented in his book and I'd highly encourage anyone to do some actual research into this because it's quite fascinating. However, it's a good rule of thumb and it's as good an arbitrary goalpost as any! I will be rounding up/down to the nearest half hour for each day and adding that. Over time, it'll average out and I don't want to keep track of how much I've practiced down to the minute because that's irrelevant.

Nota Bene: I'm going to be keeping track of intentional practice time - whether that's technique, repertoire, or any of the other categories. I am NOT going to keep track of lesson time (online or with a teacher), or time spent 'noodling'. So while my daily logged hours might be 2, I may in reality have spent an additional hour watching lessons and going over material, and an additional hour practicing absentmindedly whilst watching Netflix or whatever. Or I may not have. Doesn't matter. For the purposes of this log, only focused, dedicated, deliberate practice counts.

Finally, tracking time is for fun and is not in any way a reflection of progress.

Repertoire
    I intend to add to various playlists as I'm learning and updating repertoire. This may be songs I am asked to learn, songs I like, whatever. The idea is, if it's in the repertoire playlist, I could play it on request with a band as recorded, or have enough of an idea that I could contribute to putting an arrangement together to play. The double bass rep will be standards that I'm comfortable playing (I'll include a version I'm at least familiar with and have worked on) or other arrangements that I can confidently perform on the DB.

Electric Bass Rep
    Double Bass Rep

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019 at 8:45 PM
  2. She-Ra

She-Ra

Aug 19, 2019
    Toronto
    She-Ra's Shed - Yearly Goals

2019 Goals (Starting August 20)
    • Electric Bass
      • Complete following courses, with lots of practice, and understand the fundamentals taught therein:
        • Bass 101: The Anatomy of the Bass & Getting Started DONE
        • Bass Guitar Foundations - The Definitive Guide DONE
        • Playing it Safe - A Bassist's Guide to Preventing Injury DONE
        • Essential Bass Setup & Maintenance Guide DONE
        • Technique Deep Dive for Bass DONE
        • Harmonic Layering - Arpeggios, Chord Tones & Scales
        • Functional Theory for Bassists - Vol 1 DONE
        • Functional Theory for Bassists - Vol 2
        • The Groove Formula
        • The Essential Blues Bass Deep Dive DONE
        • A Masterclass in Bass Line Creation and R&B Bass
    • Double Bass
      • Progress as defined by teacher
      • Learn Ben Williams' Smells Like Teen Spirit double bass arrangement
      • Learn 5 Standards
      • Achieve pain free playing - technique and posture
      • Ability to play with the bow to practice intonation

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019 at 6:33 PM
    G19Tony and Clark Dark like this.
  3. She-Ra

She-Ra

Aug 19, 2019
    Toronto
    Week 34/2019 Goals

Electric Bass:
    • Fretboard
      • Learn 5 pentatonic shapes DONE
      • Learn C maj scale in each position of the 5 pentatonic degrees DONE
      • Learn to move around the fretboard through these shapes DONE
    • Technique
      • Practice fretting just behind the fret DONE
      • Practice rest stroke DONE
      • Practice muting DONE
      • Bass Hanon 1 DONE
      • Bass Aerobics Workout 1 DONE
    • Groove & Time
      • Go through "The Groove Grid" lesson pack from The Groove Formula DONE
    • Theory
      • Go through "Major Scales" from Functional Theory & understand major scales DONE
      • Go through "Arpeggios" from Harmonic Layering DONE
    • Genre Studies
      • Bad Guy - Billie Eilish DONE
      • Stand by Me - Ben King DONE
      • I Want You Back - Jackson 5 DONE
      • Money - Pink Floyd DONE
    • Other
      • Learn how to set-up bass through the Setup & Maintenance course DONE

Double Bass

• Fretboard
      • Half-position F maj and Bb maj DONE
    • Technique
      • Long tones with the bow - focus on bow speed and playing the fundamental DONE
      • Open string exercises from Evolving Bassist DONE
      • Simandl Ex 5, 6, 7
      • Focus on physical posture to prevent left shoulder pain
    • Groove & Time and Genre Studies
      • Straight, No Chaser - Thelonious Monk
        • Learn head DONE
        • Learn chords (roots & fifths) DONE

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
  4. She-Ra

She-Ra

Aug 19, 2019
    Toronto
    Sunday's Log

Electric Bass

• Learned 5 maj pentatonic shapes & C maj scale on each degree - 1:00
    • Learned Bass Hanon 1 @ 50bpm but only in C - 30
    • Learned Stand by Me & Bad Guy - 20
    • Performed Bass Setup - 2:00
      • I took off the strings that came with the bass and gave the bass a once over to make sure everything was solid (pots were tight, strap bolts, tuner washers, etc)
      • I cleaned the fretboard using special degreaser, and also oiled the fretboard with Lemon Oil until it wasn't absorbing too much (letting it rest some 5 minutes each time). I then cleaned off any excess oil on the wood and the frets.
      • I restrung with Labella Flatwounds 5 string set (.45-.128s) and set the neck relief such that the string height at 7th fret (as per Fender manual) was 0.013" using a Feeler Gauge
      • Set string action to 2.2(ish)mm on G and 2.7(ish) on the low B, and then graduated across the fingerboard. As I played up each string on each fret and found a few buzzes after a certain fret, I gradually raised the action for each string until there was no buzz up to the last fret. This resulted is slightly higher action than I'd originally set it at... but only marginally. Playing feels great (much better than the 4mm action that originally came with the bass).
      • Set string intonation - I had to pull each string's saddle nearly a whole saddle's width back till each string was in tune with itself at the 12th fret. I tested using a Peterson Strobostomp HD tuner.
      • Set pickup height - Fender manual has recommended heights, but, in setting them, the strings were not even in volume. I then decided to fiddle around and get them relatively even volumed by ear. This is the only part I'm slightly unsure about. I'll have to talk to my double bass teacher one day about it (he also play EB).
      • Overall, I really learned a lot and feel much more comfortable with the instrument and am confident I can address these sorts of issues. I've invested a lot of money in this stuff so far, so I'm gonna take a break for a bit, but, for Christmas, I'm going to gift myself some Hipshot Ultralight Tuners (the neck leans towards the headstock so they would probably bring it in balance), at which point I'll do this whole ordeal again, when I'm slightly more experienced. Looking forward to it. The fancier stuff (like refretting or planing the fingerboard, I will leave up to professionals and take it in if it needs it).

5. She-Ra

She-Ra

Aug 19, 2019
    Toronto
    Monday's Log

Double Bass
    • Open string long tones - 10
    • Articulation ex - 5
    • Simandl ex 5 - 10
    • Learned Straight, No Chaser head - 15
      • practiced with Miles Davis @ 60% ASD
    • Notes:
      • I'm tensing up the left shoulder when playing with a bow. I was able to relax more when playing pizz. I need to focus on total relaxation
      • Open string exercises are great on bow, but my arco sound on fretted notes is weak. Not super worried about it as I practice arco for intonation, rather than achieving classical fluency.
    Electric Bass
    • Practicing 5 pentatonic shapes & associated major scale shapes and moving around the fingerboard - 20
    • Learned locations of G & C on the fretboard - 5

6. She-Ra

She-Ra

Aug 19, 2019
    Toronto
    Tuesday's Log

Double Bass
    • Evolving Bassist open string ex (p 25, 26, 27) @ 50bpm - 10
    • Simandl ex 5 @ 50bpm - 15
    • Straight, No Chaser @ 60% of Miles Davis - 15
    Electric Bass
    • Functional Theory for Bassists V1: Major scales watched & practiced major scales using the formula - 30
    • Harmonic layering - What are Arpeggios & Major 7th Arpeggios - 35
    • Practicing 3 Major 7th arpeggio shapes (in C) over syth & drums - 20
    • Learned Money - 20
      • Not playing it smoothly or well; needs more practice
      • Used this tab
    • Learned position of F on the fingerboard (Practiced C, G, F) - 10

7. She-Ra

She-Ra

Aug 19, 2019
    Toronto
    Wednesday's Log

Double Bass
    • Open strings long tones - 10
    • Articulation - 5
    • Simandl ex 5 - 20
    • Straight, No Chaser @ 70% ASD (Miles Davis: Milestones) - 15
    Electric Bass
    • Warmup Hanon 1 starting around the circle of fourths @ 70bpm - 10
    • Major Scales all over the neck (C, G, D, F) - 10
    • Maj 7 arpeggio practice with backing tracks (Cmaj) - 10
    • Groove Grid Lesson 3 practice note length - 15
    • Practiced Money - 20
      • Still rough on some of the transitions, will focus on that before continuing to play along with the CD
    • Learned I Want You Back Intro - 20
    • Played along with Lately by Celeste practicing arpeggios - 15
    • Practiced locations of C, F & G again all over the fingerboard - 5
    • Notes:
      • While warming up, I was actively practicing muting and proper finger technique. I'll be using warmups to pay attention to this sort of stuff.
      • Noticing that I'm getting flying fingers about half of the time - when I'm doing something challenging. I need to focus on keeping fingers close to the fingerboard.

8. reddog

reddog Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Philly burbs
    Sub'd.
    BTW- i think Mark at Talkingbass and James at ebass offer good structure.
    Favor? Include the links to online activities .. So we can follow along!

Are you using a short scale Bass to help out your shoulder?
    thanks!
    good luck!

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  9. She-Ra

She-Ra

Aug 19, 2019
    Toronto
    Hey,

I do think they’re decent from what I’ve seen. I guess I just vibed better with Scott’s teaching style. I’ve definitely checked out a bunch of TalkingBass’ stuff though and it’s been very useful.

As for links, much of the stuff for EB I’m using is behind a paywall so I wouldn’t be able to post them, but I’ll do what I can with anything that’s public.

And no, I have a standard 34” Fender Pro Precision 5-String Bass. I find I’m pretty ok on the electric bass (my current strap is thin and not wide but I just bought a Walker&Williams strap I’m waiting for that’ll be better). It’s just the double bass that I have difficulty with, having the left hand raised to play.

reddog likes this.
  10. She-Ra

She-Ra

Aug 19, 2019
    Toronto
    Thursday's Log

Double Bass
    • Open string long tones for bow control @ 50bpm - 10
    • Simandl ex 5 - 15
    • Simandl ex 6 (just to get acquantied with it) - 5
    • Straight, No Chaser @ 80% ASD (Miles Davis: Milestones) - 20
      • I also did a few roots & fifths run throughs of the chords
      • I'm going back and forth between 60% speed and higher speeds because I'm finding it difficult to relax as I increase speeds. I'm very much focusing on staying relaxed. Dancing/bobbing my body along as I play weirdly helps keep me loose and relaxed. It's fun?
    Electric Bass
    • Today I watched & took notes on:
      • Technique Deep Dive: L6 Alternate Plucking vs Raking & L7 Raking Workout
      • Harmonic Layering: Arpeggios: Dom7th Arpeggios
      • Functional Theory: Natural Minor Scales
      • Groove Formula: Groove Grid: Lesson 4
    • Warmup Major Scales & Maj Pentatonic - 20
      • Focused on a few major scales & maj pentatonic scales, and running up and down the neck in different combinations. I'm starting to see connections and move a bit more fluidly.
      • Focused on muting as well as on Alternating plucking while ascending and raking while descending where appropriate
    • Arpeggios: Cmaj7 & Emaj7 - 15
      • Starting to be able to link arpeggios more fluidly. Still struggle with traversing the neck smoothly.
    • Arpeggios: Cdom7 - 15
      • Not that different from the maj7 arpeggios so that made it easier than I thought it would be.
    • Money - 20
      • I played the song all the way through, with only a few mistakes, several times. GREAT FUN! I really need to work on it though as I'm still messing the chorus on the last solo.
    • I Want You Back @ 85% ASD - 40
      • Intro & first verse today and I can play them without flying fingers. Not perfect but I've been concentrating on the rhythm mostly. Syncopation is the stuff I live for, but darn it's hard when you have to syncopate AND play a variety of quick notes at the same time.

Notes:

I am working on a lot of stuff, both on DB and EB! I'm keeping pace but it's exhausting, doing all this in addition to morning gym, a 9-5 job with its own pressures, learning Portuguese, and keeping my developer skills sharp on the side. I've definitely overset goals for this week. That's fine, I think. I'm going to try and achieve them as much as I can, and whatever isn't done gets moved over to next week. I'll definitely spend a lot of next week not learning too much new stuff but really taking the time to focus on & practice a lot of these basics and getting them under my muscle memory as it's a lot of stuff to digest in just a week. Most importantly, I'm starting to get a gauge of what I can do so I can adjust my goal setting for the next week.

11. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    earth
    Welcome to the forum and I see you are dedicated to achieving your set goals. What I would like to hear just once is that you also are working with a chiro or orthopaedist concurrently with your studies. It will help you to regain your full strength.
    subbed:cool:

She-Ra likes this.
  12. B-Lo

B-Lo One day I'll figure out how to play this thing... Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2017
    Northern Alabama
    Also sub'd. Looks like you're off to the races. Best of luck on your journey!

She-Ra likes this.
  13. juggahnaught

juggahnaught

Feb 11, 2018
    Seattle, WA
    You. You are awesome. I love it. It's awesome when people are passionate and show their drive, motivation, and effort. It pushes me forward.

Subbing.

Chad Michael and She-Ra like this.
  14. BOOG

BOOG Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2016
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Welcome to TB!:)
    Liking your format. I did SBL for a year and it really helped to accelerate my theory knowledge. I know that he really pushes the public logbook of practice. I think it’s a great motivator but I didn’t follow through with making the time for it. Felt tedious to me.
    Good luck with your recovery from the accident! I cycle too, and every time out I think about the possibility of getting nailed whenever a car comes up on my left. Anyway, have patience with the range of movement for the arm and shoulder. It’ll likely come back but it takes time and a lot of stretching and more patience.:thumbsup:

She-Ra and Clark Dark like this.
  15. She-Ra

She-Ra

Aug 19, 2019
    Toronto
    Clark Dark and BOOG like this.
  16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Wow, you're organized to a degree I've never seen! This ought to be fun to see unfold. Hope we get an occasional audio update.

foolforthecity, She-Ra and Polk Salad like this.
  17. She-Ra

She-Ra

Aug 19, 2019
    Toronto
    Friday's Log

Double Bass

• Simandl 5 - 10
    • Simandl 6 - 10
    • Straight, No Chaser - 10
    • Really focused on relaxed left hand/shoulder today.
    Electric Bass
    • Watched:
      • Harmonic Layering: Arpeggios
        • Minor 7th arpeggios
        • Minor 7th flat 5 arpeggios
        • Spanning the fretboard
        • Mastering the three positions
        • Continuous arpeggio exercise
      • Groove Formula: Groove Grid: Lesson 5 & Lesson 6
      • Functional Theory: Harmonization of the Major Scale (Modes as Formulas)
    • Hanon 1 (various starting points) @ 80bpm - 15
    • Major Pentatonic up & down the neck (C, F, G) - 5
    • Arpeggios (maj7, dom7, min7) - 40
      • Adding one shape a day and sitting on it to really start actually learning this stuff. Next week I will concentrate on arpeggios really thoroughly but that's once I can actually move around on them. :)
    • Money - 25
      • Finally figured out where I was missing a beat and where it was causing a messup. Played through 3 times with no mistakes
    • I Want You Back - 40
      • Learned the whole song today & I can play most of it fairly accurately @ 85% ASD with the exception of...
      • ...the "Ba-ba bum-bum-bum" section. I will slow it down and count to practice that rhythm separately and then speed it up once I have it in my fingers.
    Notes:
    • From the lessons today, there were two really great exercises for arpeggios
      • Mastering the Three Positions exercise (Autumn Leaves)
        • Play all chords using first position arpeggio patters
        • Play all chords using second position arpeggio patterns
        • Play all chords using third position arpeggio patterns
        • Play all chords but remaining within/limiting yourself to a 6 space range on the fingerboard using all the various position arpeggio patterns
      • Continuous Arpeggio Ex (Learning to not rely on roots!)
        • Quarter note per beat, play over chord changes (Autumn Leaves for starter)
        • Pattern: remaining in a 6 fret position wherever you want, using arpeggios, ascend from the lowest string to the highest, and then descend; repeat ad nauseum
        • Start on the root of the first chord and play four notes; for the next chord, start on the nearest available note from where you left off on the last note and continue. Play this way through the changes.
    • My strap really hurts. My new one is on the way and should arrive sometime early next week. Until then, I'm doing only 15 minute sessions with the strap as it's putting a lot of pressure on my weak left shoulder.
    • I took it easy with the DB today.
    • Also going to see a doc on Tuesday to see what else I can do to strengthen my left shoulder as yesterday in the gym it felt like it was on the point of collapse as I was bench pressing a moderate amount of weight and had to back off.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
    juggahnaught and JimmyM like this.
  18. She-Ra

She-Ra

Aug 19, 2019
    Toronto
    Saturday's Log

Double Bass

• Had a lesson today. These were the big takeaways:
      • Focus on two quarter notes per bow as I go through exercises
      • Focus on having all bow hair touch the string as I play
      • Playing open string etudes to learn to cross strings on the same bow stroke
      • Start slow and the speed up by 5bpm to get used to playing not just at slow tempos
      • Practicing with a tuner is great for intonation; practicing with a drone really great for developing the ear
    • Simandl 5 - 15
    • Simandl 6 - 15
    • Straight, No Chaser - 15
    Electric Bass
    • Maj scale - 10
    • Maj pentatonics - 10
    • Minor scale - 15
    • Arpeggios
      • Maj7 - 30
      • Dom7 - 30
      • Min7 - 30
      • M7b5 - 30
    Notes:
    • A bit uninspired today so while I practiced only technical stuff on EB
    • Lady downstairs was babysitting and asked me to not play today so as to not wake the baby. Totally cool. It was weird practicing unamplified - I really slowed down and focused on playing without buzz. But I definitely noticed my muting slacked a bit.
    • Played around on a Cm groove on the DB that sounded really great (to me). Noodling is important. Even more importantly, noodling but actively incorporating new stuff I'm learning.
    • Also worked on something else that's important today: keeping myself grounded. As someone that's studied how the brain learns, and pedagogy, and skill acquisition for over a decade, I'm aware that there's a limit to learning despite all the efficiencies or hacks to speed it up that you may want to use - that limit is time. It takes time to process new material, really understand it, really get it into your body. Sometimes, the process of learning a new skill as an adult is a bit overwhelming because I become very much aware of just how much there is to learn and how little time I have. So one of the things I have to work on is to keep myself grounded and even tempered when it comes to this. The only comparison of progress, or yardstick of forward movement, is comparing myself against where I was yesterday and not other people that have been playing for 15-20 years I can see on YouTube. I think this is important to keep in mind.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
    juggahnaught likes this.
  19. She-Ra

She-Ra

Aug 19, 2019
    Toronto
    Reflections on Week 34:
    • Definitely set a lot of goals last week. I think I may need to tone it down just a tad because it was exhausting - or perhaps that was because so much of it was completely new. Either way, I'll scale it back a bit and assess at the end of next week. Goal setting needs to be continually refined.
    • I've learned the maj pentatonic scale but, I've learned it with a mistake - I know where all the shapes are but not where the roots are! I need to fix this. I'll do this by focusing on the minor pentatonic scale and learning that off the roots. Then returning to maj and really focusing on the location of the roots.
    • I've learned the location of three notes (C, F, G) on each string up to 12th fret, to about 90% instant recall rate. I feel like I could have done more... but in the context of everything, this is fine. Focusing on the standard letters rather than a chromatic alphabet, this means that in two weeks I'll have the basic locations of all notes memorized and can judge the flats/halves from there and focus on those afterwards. I'm going to use Autumn Leaves this week to choose what notes I'll be learning based on the chords in the song for doubling up of goals purposes.
    • I'm very happy because I've made a lot of progress on the EB; slightly disappointed because I did not do as much on the DB. This is a bit frustrating because I'd love to make more progress on the DB but I have to take it slow due to the weak left shoulder. Heading to doc this week to ask questions, get physio or chiro or ortho referral and/or have a definite idea on how to get better.
    • I weirdly feel like my bass is incomplete - and I know it makes no difference in my playing - but it weirdly bothers me psychologically. I'm still waiting for the strap, the new bushed gold pickguard (I really dislike the white-on-white look I'm currently sporting), and the Hipshot Ultralites tuners to come in. My 5-string has some neck dive, whereas the 4 string I tried when comparing them in the store was pretty well balanced; but I went with the 5 string because I wanted 5 strings? I am definitely hoping that the Hipshots fix the neck dive, though as, when wearing a strap, I'm finding that I'm sometimes pushing up on the neck to get it to a comfortable position as it keeps moving down out of position. I'm probably gonna have a pro install the tuners, as I'm pretty sure it involves drilling new holes in the headstock and I do not have tools for that.
    • Loving the LaBella Flatwounds I put on. They're much much more pleasant to play on than the roundwounds that came with the bass and they sound great.

20. She-Ra

She-Ra

Aug 19, 2019
    Toronto
    Week 35/2019 Goals

Electric Bass:

• Fretboard
      • Master Chart Arpeggios Ex - Autumn Leaves DONE
      • Continuous Arpeggio Ex - Autumn Leaves
      • Continue practicing arpeggios (maj7, dom7, min7, m7b5) and linking around the board DONE
      • Continue practicing major/natural minor scales & maj/min pentatonic scales across the board DONE
    • Technique
      • Bass Hanon 2 DONE
      • Bass Aerobics Workout 2 DONE
    • Groove & Time
      • Practice playing note length from downbeat to e/&/a/whole note DONE
      • Practice a very simple groove but shifting the phrase by 16th notes (Rich Brown exercise)
      • The Groove Formula - Rhythm & Groove Development Module DONE
    • Theory
      • Functional Theory - L4: Triads DONE
      • Functional Theory - L5: Harmonised Major Scale (Three Note Chords), Nashville Numbering System DONE
      • Blues Deep Dive - L1: Mastering the Shuffle DONE
      • Blues Deep Dive - L2: The 12 Bar Blues Progression DONE
    • Genre Studies
      • Bouree in E Minor - Bach (from Classical Masterpieces on Bass)
      • Continue working on
        • I Want You Back - Jackson 5 DONE
        • Money - Pink Floyd DONE
    • Transcription
      • Dreams - Fleetwood Mac DONE
      • Preciso Me Encontrar - Cartola DONE

Double Bass

• Fretboard
      • All major scales in HP/1st Position
      • Arpeggios in HP/1st Position
    • Technique
      • Long tones with the bow - focus on bow speed and playing the fundamental DONE
      • Open string exercises from Evolving Bassist AND Simandl
      • Simandl Ex 5, 6, 7
      • Focus on physical posture, relaxation to prevent left shoulder pain
    • Theory
      • The Jazz Lines Book - Chapter 1: Chordal Bass Lines
    • Groove & Time / Genre Studies
      • Straight, No Chaser - Thelonious Monk
    Notes:
    • I have some social engagements this week which mean I cannot dedicate as much time to learning/practicing this week. I've taken this into account so this week I'm focusing less on completely new stuff and planning on spending a healthy chunk of time on solidifying a lot of the stuff from last week.
    • Double bass goals have been impacted by doc diagnosis

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
    juggahnaught likes this.