1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

She-Ra's Shed

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by She-Ra, Aug 22, 2019.

1. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    Wow.... that's organization. Impressive.
    But imo a book can be "done" as a learning player and ""done" as a more experienced player. Don't just plow through books. Takes time to learn this stuff. You might think you have that Jamerson tune nailed....but tape it and come back 3 years later.....huge difference

Don't forget to get a pile of records and woodshed with just those.

juggahnaught and She-Ra like this.
  2. She-Ra

She-Ra

Aug 19, 2019
    Toronto
    Sunday's Log

Double Bass
    • Nada
    Electric Bass
    • Bouree in E Minor - 1:00
      • Learned it all but cannot play it smoothly at all yet.
      • Used a weird technique I've read about: learned it backwards! So I learned the last bar; then the second last bar, etc. This way, I'm avoiding the phenomenon where I can play the beginning of a song really really well, but the end only poorly. It was interesting but challenging.
      • This makes me move my fingers is some weird ways. I dig it.
    • Bass Hanon 2 - 15
    • Bass Repertoire - 15
      • Ran through everything I know so far playing along with the songs on Spotify and it was great fun. Nailed Money!
    • I Want You Back @ 85% ASD - 40
      • Spent a good chunk of time getting the repeating "ba-bum-bum-bum bump-bum" part. It's a finger twister but I'm finally starting to get it. Looking forward to playing the whole song through and then slowly bringing it up to speed.
    • Arpeggios (maj7/dom7/min7/m7b5) spanning the fretboard in all three positions - 50
    • Learned location of all "A"s on the fretboard up to 12th fret
    Notes:
    • Nothing major on DB today as I need to give my shoulder a rest.
    • Bouree in E Minor was a nice challenge. I'm looking forward to practicing it till I can play it well. I feel like I cheated a bit as I read the tab below the staff for the notes, rather than reading the staff, but I'll live with it as it was far more complex, position wise, than I'm ready to interpret on my own.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
    Rilence and juggahnaught like this.
  3. She-Ra

She-Ra

Aug 19, 2019
    Toronto
    Monday's Log

Double Bass
    • Nada
    Electric Bass
    • Watched & took notes on
      • Functional Theory - L4: Triads
      • Functional Theory - L5: Harmonised Major Scale (Three Note Chords), Nashville Numbering System
      • Blues Deep Dive - L1: Mastering the Shuffle
      • Blues Deep Dive - L2: The 12 Bar Blues Progression
    • Learned location of all "D"s on the neck up to 12th fret
    Notes:
    • Learned about the "Spider Exercises" today which seems like a good way to practice finger independence when not using an amp.
    • Social engagement this evening meant no bass tonight. :(

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
  4. juggahnaught

juggahnaught

Feb 11, 2018
    Seattle, WA
    Spider exercises are awesome for finger dexterity, and there are a lot of different variations on finger gymnastics that are extremely helpful. Check the Exercise sticky thread in the Technique forum.

+1 for recording your practices. Things that feel good in the moment don't always sound as good as we think they do. I should do this too. (Hell, I should actually practice period. Been a while since I shedded.)

She-Ra likes this.
  5. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    Oh....get the Omnibook in bass clef.....that will give about.....30 years worth of woodshedding

Minimum....

:)

6. She-Ra

She-Ra

Aug 19, 2019
    Toronto
    @juggahnaught I have a book called Bass Fitness by Josquin des Pres that does a lot of the variations of spider exercises. I think I want to keep them to a minimum as playing "musical" stuff achieves more things than just purely finger exercises, but I'm keeping them in the back of my head for times when I can't plug in and don't want to do more complex stuff I can just focus on those.

And yeah, I want to record myself (I'm doing it on a phone a bit at a time now) but I'm going to buy small mixer/interface to plug into my comp that way I can record what I'm playing to as well (drum track, song, metronome, whatever).

7. juggahnaught

juggahnaught

Feb 11, 2018
    Seattle, WA
    Fair enough. I've found that finger exercises have greatly helped with strength and dexterity in my fretting hand, especially the pinky and ring fingers; I started as a classical guitarist and moved to bass, and doing those exercises daily for a good amount of time now means that I can span four frets in first position easily without any real issues. As you said, it's worth doing when you aren't doing anything else, or even at the end of a practice for five or ten minutes (pick a starting fret, like fret five, and do the exercises only on that fret - no need to try to cover the whole neck - then after a week or so, try moving down one). This also set me up very early for one finger per fret work, which you may or may not advocate as a double bassist.

Don't let me keep you, you know what you're doing. Good luck with the interface!

She-Ra likes this.
  8. She-Ra

She-Ra

Aug 19, 2019
    Toronto
    Tuesday's Log

Double Bass
    • -
    Electric Bass
    • Practiced notes on the neck that I know so far (C, G, F, A D), on all strings below 12th fret - 10
    • Bass Hanon 2 - 10
    • Bass Aerobics Workout 2 - 10
    • Maj pent - 10
    • Arpeggios - 40
      • This is the last day I'm doing them straight. I feel like I finally know the shapes well. Starting tomorrow, I'm going to be doing them in inversions.
    Notes:
    • I went to the doctor today for my shoulder. Conclusion was clear: my rotator cuff is in really bad shape - RC Impingement Syndrome. I need physio, and I need to stop doing anything that involves effort above chest height for about a month if I want to recover within a month or two. My scapula is really far forward and as I raise my arm to lift a weight or do something that engages the muscles in anything but a cursory way, the bone is badly aggravating my rotator cuff which is why it hasn't healed so far. Also, it's why the days after a particularly hard gym or bass session, my shoulder is in more pain than usual. This is.... disappointing and really puts a damper on my double bass progress. I'm going to continue doing open string exercises, working on my pizz sound. But for the sake of recovery as well as getting back to the instrument as fast as possible, I'm gonna really focus on EB till October, and then reassess with the doc. Le heavy sigh.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
  9. She-Ra

She-Ra

Aug 19, 2019
    Toronto
    Wednesday's Log

Double Bass
    • Open string exercises - 15
    Electric Bass
    • Hanon 2 - 15
    • Transcription - 20
      • Dreams (it was really easy..... lol)
      • Six Blade Knife (also pretty easy, but I don't have the break part down fully yet)
    • Rep Rehearsal - 20
    • Groove & Time - 15
      • Practiced note length 1-> e/&/a
      • Practiced starting off different beats (e/&/a)
      • Practiced different patterns (1, 1&, 1e, e&, &a, ea, a2, a2e)
    • Arpeggios - 45
      • Practiced Autumn Leaves changes off first finger arpeggio position (2 locations on neck)
      • Practiced Autumn Leaves changes off first second arpeggio position (2 locations on neck)
      • Practiced Autumn Leaves changes off first pinky arpeggio position (2 locations on neck)
    • Bouree in E Minor - 10
    Notes:
    • Feeling a bit disheartened with the news from yesterday. My heart really isn't in it right now. This too shall pass. lol
    • Learned about Indian rhythm solfege (ta, ta-ka, ta-ki-ta, etc). I've been using it to go between all sorts of subdivisions of the quarter note and it's amazingly intuitive and easy to do. I need to internalize this though, which will be a long road. Luckily, a lot of rhythm practice can be done away from the instrument with just a metronome, so I can work on it at work while code is compiling, etc.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
  10. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    Being 34, seems to me you have a good 30-40 (maybe 50) years left...plenty of time.

I've taken time off EB to play guitar, study piano chording, take a couple of music classes, play keys in a band for about a year (Hammond M3, Leslie Tallboy, Fender Rhodes, Ampeg, 2x15 JBL cab).

Been in the hospital a few times, kids, etc. One time for about 5 years I practiced on my acoustic guitar 5-15 hours a day. Did it help my bass playing? Absolutely.

Sometimes I watch movies and listen to the sound tracks. I just got Sirius XM so now I'm listening to lots of Beatles and other stuff I hadn't heard before. I also watch Youtube music and other videos with a pair of really good head phones.

Music education covers lots of ground. It's all good.

With regards to the 10k hours, you'll get as good as YOU can get, not as good as someone else.

Gotta enjoy the journey.:thumbsup:

Edit: Life gets can get in the way of everything. Keep on keepin' on...you'll get there! It's persistence over a few years that pays off.

Rilence, She-Ra and BOOG like this.
  11. She-Ra

She-Ra

Aug 19, 2019
    Toronto
    Thursday's Log

Double Bass
    • -
    Electric Bass
    • Watched
      • The Groove Formula: Rhythm & Groove: L1, L2, L3
      • Essential Blues Deep Dive: Turnarounds
      • Essential Blues Deep Dive: Building Bass Lines
      • Functional Theory: Key Signatures (Sharps & Flats) Circle of 5ths
      • Functional Theory: 7th Arpeggios (maj7, min7, dom7, m7b5)
      • Functional Theory: Pentatonic/Blues Scales
    • Learned "E" on all strings of fretboard - 5
    • Practiced A C D E F G on all strings - 5
    Notes:
    • Tonight I'm heading out to check out a blues local jam so there's no time to practice properly. Not taking my bass, just going to listen. I'll be noodling around on the bass for a bit, but it will not be concentrated practice.

Rilence, juggahnaught and BOOG like this.
  12. BOOG

BOOG Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2016
    Cleveland, Ohio
    A lot of times those breaks of a day or two bring me back refreshed and better than where I left off. @Stumbo ’s words are and that part about it being a “journey” will save you from burnout and frustration induced anxiety if you keep it at the front of your thought process.
    Enjoy the music tonight and I bet a little inspiration will be the payoff.:thumbsup:

13. She-Ra

She-Ra

Aug 19, 2019
    Toronto
    Friday's Log

Double Bass
    • -
    Electric Bass
    • Watched
      • Blues Deep Dive: Blues Progression Variations
      • Blues Deep Dive: Intro's & Outro's
      • Blues Deep Dive: Stops & Hits - Arranging on the Spot
      • Technique Deep Dive: Finger Independence Focus
      • Technique Deep Dive: String Crossing Techniques
      • The Groove Formula: Rhythm & Groove Development - L4 - L10
    • String Crossing Ex - 15
    • Hanon 2 - 15
    • Blues - 15
      • Basic progression w/ intro & outro
    • Arpeggios - 40
      • 3 mins / starting finger of each arpeggio (slightly longer on m7b5 because I don't have it down yet)
    • Transcribe bass line for Precise Me Encontrar - 30
      • Used this version of the song because it was a simple bass line AND it was very clear
    • I Want You Back - 30
      • Brought it to 90% ASD
    • Continuous Arpeggio Ex (on Autumn Leaves) - 30
      • This is the most challenging thing I've done so far. It's slow going but it really forces me to focus on really learning the fingerboard and where I am at all times. It'll be a while before I get this one down anywhere near autopilot - and this was just one position! I think this will become a staple of practice because it'll force so many things to come into focus.
    Notes:
    • Read & made notes on So You Are Going to a Blues Jam as well as a few other sources for jam etiquette
      • Made a Spotify playlist of some often called tunes, as well as tunes that cover a variety of blues styles. This is preparation for when I do goal-setting for next week, which I will call "Blues Week"

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
    Rilence, juggahnaught and Stumbo like this.
  14. She-Ra

She-Ra

Aug 19, 2019
    Toronto
    Reflections on Week 35:
    • So I had a lot less time available to practice this week but I feel like I was very efficient and focused with what I set out to do.
    • Disheartening news regarding my shoulder definitely had an impact on my excitement and motivation - but excitement and motivation are not the hallmarks of success; discipline is. So, I've trucked on.
    • Today (Saturday) is a very busy day and I will be very tired so while I'll probably noodle around on the bass, whenever I have free time throughout the day, I'm not going to actively practice/learn anything that's worth logging.
    • I got Rocksmith 2014 for $5 (found an online sale) for PC and hacked together a cable so I didn't have to buy the $50 cable for the game, and am looking forward to having some fun with it. I'll mostly be using it as an extra excuse to play bass after my daily practice - kind of as a means to unwind & have fun while still learning new stuff. I might even stream some. Who knows. We'll see.
    • I think my goals were pretty decently set for this week, if a bit overreaching. I'm very much an introvert and, while I accounted for the time I'd not be available due to engagements, I didn't take into account how exhausted being social makes me and how that affects practice time. So I'll keep that in mind for next time this sort of week crops up.
    • Went to a Blues Jam on Thursday to check it out and it was pretty great. Some actual songs got called (I made note of them, but they seem like the standard fare), but mostly it was a great listening experience. I'm going to make this coming week a "Blues Week" and take a brief digression from my regular studies to really dive hard into the blues and learn various forms, etc. The week after, I'll plan to practice everything and, if I think I'm ready, I'll head to the Blues Jam again and sit in on a song or two. We'll see.

15. Malcolm35

Malcolm35

Aug 7, 2018
    Little hint from an old introvert. I have to have my self time to recharge my battery. Being around people saps my energy and after three days of social I have to have at least a morning just by myself.

In my case being around people was how I made a living (sales and training) so I had to do it, but, it was necessary that I did carve out some down time mid week. Three to four hours was all it took.

Offered for what it is worth.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
    tonym and She-Ra like this.
  16. She-Ra

She-Ra

Aug 19, 2019
    Toronto
    Week 36/2019 Goals - The Blues Week

My short term goal that I'm working toward is to get up and play bass at a local Friday Night Blues Jam by the end of week 37. So this week will be dedicated to really absorbing all about the blues - forms, styles, a few actual songs, turnarounds, intro's, outro's, etc - so that I can practice it throughout week 37 and then, on Friday the 13th, I'll head out to the jam and sit in on a few songs.

Electric Bass:

• Fretboard
      • Continuous Arpeggio Ex - Autumn Leaves
      • Continue practicing arpeggios (maj7, dom7, min7, m7b5) and linking around the board
      • Continue practicing major/natural minor scales & maj/min pentatonic scales across the board
    • Technique
      • Bass Hanon 3
      • Bass Aerobics Workout 3
      • Focusing on muting technique for lob B - I'm doing well muting as I play the other strings, but sometimes I miss it, or my thumb only makes temporary contact with it, and it starts resonating
    • Groove & Time
      • Practice playing note length from downbeat to e/&/a/whole note
      • Practice starting on various breakdowns of the note - 1, 1e, 1e&, 1e&a, e, e&, e&a, ea, etc....
      • The Groove Formula - Rhythm & Groove Development Module clapping exercises
    • Theory
      • Chord Tone Concepts: Vol 1
        • I've gone through several things that cover the same stuff so this should be a review, mostly, rather than learning anything new and I'm using it for solidification of that knowledge
      • Blues Bass book by Ed Friedland
        • This seems ambitious but I've spent a good chunk of this week watching and practicing a lot of blues stuff so this won't be the first time I'm encountering a lot of the concepts it's covering.
        • I'm also not planning on learning every single song - just a selection. So while the book is 79 pages long, I'm really focusing on the first 44 pages or so
    • Genre Studies
      • Lots of songs from my 'Blues Studies' Spotify playlist
      • Blues feels: straight, shuffle, rhumba, 12/8, march, jump, boogie-woogie, slow
      • Blues techniques: walkups, turnarounds, intro's, outro's
    • Transcription
      • No real goals for transcription this week aside from listening to a lot of blues and identifying what kind it is, what the bass is doing, etc.

Double Bass

• Technique
      • Long tones with the bow - focus on bow speed and playing the fundamental
      • Open string exercises from Evolving Bassist AND Simandl
      • Focus on physical posture - relaxation is important
    Notes:
    • I would like to make playing live - even a little bit per week or every two weeks- part of my routine because learning to play with people (not just a band) is another skill that must be developed. Especially playing with a drummer - while playing with a drum machine is great, it's perfect and I'm not learning how to deal with slight variations in timing from it as I'd get with a real drummer.
    • I'm not expecting to become anything more than a beginner blues player through the next two weeks, but I think being competent is a good starting goal. Like everything else, I am very much aware that it takes time to become really familiar with the subtleties of playing... really any genre. I'm definitely advantaged when it comes to blues, however, because I've been listening to it my whole life in some form or another and it is the basis of a lot of the music that's up my alley - motown, funk, soul, R&B, rock, errrrr... blues.... haha.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
  17. juggahnaught

juggahnaught

Feb 11, 2018
    Seattle, WA
    I'm stoked for you and excited to see what Week 36 brings. Playing out is a good goal for sure, and blues is (in my opinion) one of the best genres to get started with in terms of live playing.

If you haven't played on a stage with people before, be aware that it can be anxiety-inducing. This varies from person to person. (I personally get nervous before every stage performance, whether it's a jam or a gig.) Based on your training log and your outlook, I'm sure you realize this, but definitely do the work in practice and at the gig, have fun and trust in the skills that you have.

(If everything goes belly up for some reason, well, it's Friday the 13th, so you have an out. :p )

Watching this space! Keep us posted!

18. She-Ra

She-Ra

Aug 19, 2019
    Toronto
    Monday's Log

Double Bass
    • Open string exercises - 30
    Electric Bass
    • Blues Bass book (pp. 1-18)
      • Basic form + quick IV
      • Basic turnarounds
      • Box-shape patterns
      • Walkups & descents
    • Hanon 3 - 20
    • Workout 3 - 20
    • Major scales / Major pentatonic scales - 15
    • Arpeggios practice - 50
      • 4 min on each of maj7, min7, dom7, m7b5 off starting positions.
    • Blues forms with BiaB - 60
      • Stuck to dom7 blues to practice basics
      • Straight feel, slow blues, shuffle (long, short/short, and short/long)
    • Solidifying notes A B C D E F G on the fingerboard - 5
    • Rhythm exercises - 20
    Notes
    • So, Rocksmith is a LOT of fun! I've spent a few hours yesterday playing around on it. I wouldn't necessarily consider it practice but I could include it in Genre Studies technically. Anyway, I downloaded like 500 custom DLS songs from customsforge.com and have been having an absolute blast with it. I've learned 1999, Knights of Cydonia, Carolina Dream, and practiced Money and I Want You Back with it as well. Probably gonna play some more today. haha
    • I've officially got bassist's fingers. My callouses have gotten pretty serious; especially on my index finger. I'm happy I didn't get blisters through this process.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
  19. She-Ra

She-Ra

Aug 19, 2019
    Toronto
    Tuesday's Log

Double Bass
    • -
    Electric Bass
    • Blues Bass book (pp. 18-25)
      • Boogie & jump blues lines & patterns
      • Basic intro to I VI ii V
    • Continuous arpeggio ex - 60
    • Blues forms with BiaB - 50
      • Stuck to dom7 blues to practice basics
      • Ran through various Boogie & Jump blues styles
    • Solidifying notes A B C D E F G on the fingerboard - 5
    • Rhythm exercises - 20
    • Rocksmith - 30
      • Can't Stand Losing You - The Police
    Notes
    • I caught whatever's going around the office and I am sick and feel like.... well, I am not in the mood for a lot of practice. I stayed home and mostly slept but managed to get a bit of work done. Basically: :(
    • Rocksmith: I think I'm going to include it in my practice time only when I'm spending time learning repertoire. I'll update the initial post to include it.

20. StarAttraction

StarAttraction

May 19, 2013
    Wish you the best of luck my friend!

She-Ra likes this.