1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

She Was 11 Years Old At The Time This Was Rercorded

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by JAUQO III-X, Oct 17, 2013.

1. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.

2. BobaFret

BobaFret

Jan 22, 2008
    That's badass. At 11 I could barely get my pants on right.

3. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    she is AMAZING (then& now)!!!!

look-out Tal...;)

4. Awesome Sauce

Awesome Sauce Already tired tomorrow

Dec 21, 2011
    NW Chicago 'burbs
    I don't claim to know Jauqo's thoughts or motivations for posting this, and I know a lot- if not most- of people tend to think this kind of thing is 'badass', as Boba put it, but whenever I see these vids of kids playing at this level, it makes me sad and a little uncomfortable. I've never known a child to have that level of focus or dedication to *anything*. So I invariably wonder: how hard were/are they pushed; is this what he/she (the child playing) truly wants; has he/she had an enjoyable, healthy childhood? Maybe I'm looking too deeply into things, but my gut says 'No...this isn't a good thing'; and in this instance I think I'll listen to it.

As always, acronyms.

Rob
    :bassist:

5. JamesGoodall

JamesGoodall

Aug 29, 2011
    Dallas
    Shoot, I'm 20 and I still can't get my pants on right...or play like that :crying:

6. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    @giorob,...

her dad is a somewhat famous bassist in India, but i think she loves what she does. her dream is to work with Victor Wooten.

BTW, you should hear her rendition of Jaco's "Teen Town"!!!:eek:

7. I agree in principal, but you never know. Some kids latch onto stuff hard without pressure from parents or whoever.

8. Awesome Sauce

Dec 21, 2011
    NW Chicago 'burbs
    I fully admit that I don't know the situation, just putting out what I 'feel' based on my own life experiences. I have seen many a child 'latch onto' and pursue a dream that was never really theirs, only for it to lead to a life full of disappointment; though I have, very rarely, seen just what you described. So, yeah, I'm cynical and skeptical. I will say these kids all have talent is spades, there is no denying that.

But personally, I wouldn't want my daughter being a professional musician at fifteen, no matter how talented either of them were. Life's too short to grow up too fast. Tell them to enjoy being a kid while they can, and then let them.

Just my $.02, for whatever it's actually worth.

Rob

9. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.

I posted it out of appreciation and respect.

My abilty to appreciate that this young girl definitely has skills, and I simply appreciate what I have heard so far. And I respect her for what ever reason she may have for choosing to extend herself through her instrument of choice.

She's definitely special.

Don't be sad or uncomfortable, just allow her to be her. Remember we all started playing bass at some point, some of us just started younger than others.

10. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Amazing. Just wow.

11. Stick_Player

Stick_Player Banned

Nov 13, 2009
    Somewhere on the Alaska Panhandle (Juneau)
    Endorser: Plants vs. Zombies Pea Shooters
    Have you ever spent anytime in a music conservatory that has scores of kids that play at this level?

The person in this video is simply a prodigy.

These people are not necessarily pushed. Although some are.

I have seen several videos of this particular bassist. I think she may be about 16 now.

Just enjoy it. She's born with these skills.

12. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Sometimes kids just latch on to something they like and you can't keep them away from it. I know this example I'm about to give is totally different from music, but something I thought about quite a bit.

You often see sports parents pushing their kids relentlessly. But many years ago, there was a kid on one of my son's soccer team. He was awesome. Far and away the best player on the field every game. And yet his parents were the quietest, most unassuming people you'd ever meet. I don't think the dad knew a goal kick from a corner kick, and didn't care. They never pushed that kid. But the KID loved soccer and had a natural talent for it. Same principle. A lot of young kids are musical prodigies. Sure, some are pushed by parents living vicariously, but a lot are not. They just love what they're doing. My guess is that this young girl truly enjoys what she's doing. Anyway, that's just my 2 cents. That and a couple bucks will get me a cup of coffee... ;)

13. Awesome Sauce

Dec 21, 2011
    NW Chicago 'burbs
    Please don't take me the wrong way: I DO respect her ability, and will graciously admit that she can play circles around me. Maybe I'm just letting my side of the fence cloud my perceptions.

And I remember when I started. Fifteen years old and all my new friends in high school played guitar- so I got a bass. Couldn't afford lessons, so I taught myself. Everyone thought I sucked, no one wanted to jam, but I loved every minute of it.

And then I got some of the best advice of my life...

I'm sure you (Jauqo) have no memory of what I'm talking about, but back in '95, *maybe* '96, you struck up a conversation w/ me (as a teenager) at the GC in Arlington Heights while I was trying some basses- back when they took up the entire north wall of the main room. I won't go into detail publicly, but I will say that your words had a profound impact on me, and you're the main reason I'm the player that I am today.

So thanks for the wisdom then, and thanks for it now. I think I just might need to clear my head and turn my wipers on. ;)

Rob

14. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Giorob, I know your last post was directed to Jauqo. (And yes, he is a great bassist and seems like a very interesting cat.) Just wanted you to know that my post (right above yours) was not meant to be critical of you. I understood what you meant. I was just making an observation in general. Hope it didn't come across wrong...

15. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Rob I definitely remember our conversation and I sincerely appreciate that I was able to be of assistance and like I told you when we met, if I can ever be of help feel free to reach out.

Here's a new interview.

http://www.notreble.com/buzz/2013/10/17/new-school-jauqo-iii-x/

16. Mike M.

Mike M.

Feb 14, 2010
    I'm 60 and some days I can't remember WHERE I left my pants!!

I still can't play like that either and never will be able to. But that's okay because I know what I'm about and while I do work on my weak area's I know I'll always be of a certain "ilk" and that's something I accepted a long time ago.

17. Shanannigan

Shanannigan

Feb 25, 2011
    Ontario
    I'd keep an eye out for her and her sister.

18. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Very cool. Thanks for posting it.

19. Nobody is born with these skills.

20. Flabass

Flabass

Aug 11, 2008
    St. Petersburg
    When I was 11 I was into baseball. I thought bass was those 3 things on the field. Hadn't even started playing guitar yet.