Shecter, Spector, Fender

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by brainfodder, Dec 29, 2005.

1. I am eager to upgrade from my trusty Dean Edge, and am taking a trip to Guitar Center this weekend.
    I know they carry schecter and spector, as well as Fender. What are some specific models I should look for, as well as features I should compare? I play blues and classic rock through an ampeg portabass.
    I'm looking for four string, and would probably opt for better pickups over better looks.
    I'm not in a rush to buy without shopping around, so I have the time to be picky. My target range is sub $800, but am willing to wait and save if the right bass isn't in that range.
    Thanks, folks!
  2. The Fender, or the Spector....
  3. I was in the same boat. i picked up my Spector Rebop 5 for $925 with case. I like the Spectors, theyre great basses. I just got back from GC after playing a Spector Euro 5, I feel a GAS attack coming on!
  4. klharper

Oct 16, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    The Stiletto line by Schecter is great for the money.
    You should be able to pick up a Stiletto Custom 4 - beautiful natural satin finish, great playability, emg hmz w/ active electronics for around 500
    The stiletto exotic has en even nicer finish (both flamed maple and zebrawood look great) with duncan designed sb 101's and overall higher standards than the Custom for around 800

Geddy Lee jazz basses seem to be a popular favorite among TB'ers, usually around 700

Japanese fenders are great too - between MIM and MIA (some say as good, or even better than MIA). You can check them out at, large selection of P an J basses. The real value is in the Japanese fenders with American pickups, anywhere from a little below 500-900.

The spector legend is a great deal, probably around the same price as the Schecter Stiletto Custom.

These are some of the basses I would check out (and have done so for quite a few of them!).

Good luck in your future purchase :D
  5. Thanks for the advice. How can I tell MIA from MIJ side by side? Will it be labeled? How about if I wanted to compare passives?
  6. Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    I think the Spector is the best bet for the money. Tone-wise, you can get the P-bass tone out of a Spector plus much more.
  7. vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    Spector Rebop 5. Crushing five string and fit and finish is sick for the price. Plus the CS at Spector is top notch. EMG's are not everyones cup of tea but for my ears right now they are fantastic. Happy hunting!
  8. The Japan made ones have "crafted in Japan" on the back of their neck at the heel end. The Usa made are labeled "made in U.S.A" at the front side of the head. My opinion is that the CIJ ones are outstanding value, and if I was to buy a new Fender again it would definately be a CIJ from some net-shop in japan like guitarjapan or ishibashi. Have only heard great things about those basses and shops, I do have a CIJ bass too, a Fender Noel Redding sig and it is very nice absolutely up to MIA-standard as far as quality goes. :)
  9. purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    + 1 for all the above comments. It always depends on what you are willing to spend but you should come away with a very good bass. Try as many as you can before you buy.
  10. dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    If meat-n-potatoes rock and blues is yr thing and if you want to stay within yr price range, I say go with a Fender J or P. You will not be able to get a new American Series in yr range; maybe a floor model with a ding in it if yr lucky. This does leave the US Highway models, the MIM reissues and deluxes and of course the plain old MIM Standards with plenty of cash left over for other treats. I happen to love the neck of the Japanese made Geddy model as well.

I think for the money the Schecter Stiletto series is pretty awesome. However given the genre of yr music I think the Schecters may be a bit too much on the modern hi-fi side tonally. Then again, I'm sure you could make it work for you if you really dig these basses.

The Spector reBob is likely an excellent axe. I haven't tried one but I hear all the Czech made Spectors (and Deans for that matter) are excellent. However unless you go used or score a floor model that a GC type shop wants to get rid off, yr going to pay more than $800, no doubt.

My vote (given the money and the music you play) I think Fender is the way to go.

PS Say, ever consider a G&L Tribute?
  11. I haven't tried one yet. What should I consider when looking at the G&L Tributes?
  12. dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    I say just go to a guitar shop and check a couple of Tribute 4 strings and see how they feel. G&L are basically Fenders on steroids. For years I’ve found that G&Ls are better made, more versatile and generally more consistent than Fenders. In fairness, I’ll also admit that I think the new American Series Fenders have stepped up the quality control quite a bit and are finally giving G&L a little run for the money. The Tribute line is simply Korean imported versions of the more popular domestic models. Right now the Tribute bass line is down to the L2500 (5 string) and L2000 (4). They used to also carry the SB-2 but discontinued them. The SB2 is just like the domestic issue with the same domestic pickups but the rest is imported. It’s basically a passive P bass with PJ set up and J style neck. The pickups have more output and the bridge is more massive than a Fender. They were discontinued which means they are hard to find but when you do, they’re pretty cheap. I’ve seen them go for $300 brand new with gig bag. These are great bases if you can find one. Otherwise the L2000 is the way to go.

The L2000 comes in standard and premium versions. The standard has oblique finishes with basswood bodies and maple neck (maple or rosewood finger boards). The Premiums have 2 or 3 piece ash bodies with see-thru finish (the blue burst finish is particularly stunning, I think). This bass is very versatile. They use domestic G&L humbuckers but the preamp is Korean. The hardware is made in Taiwan, I hear. I’ve tried all these G&L Tributes and was pretty impressed. I play US made G&L ASAT and SB1 basses. I find the Tributes hold up very well against the domestic models though the domestic models have a more broken-in, refined feeling neck. But hey, considering the Tributes coast less than half of the US G&L, why quibble, right?

Just as US G&Ls have smoked US Fenders for years, I find that the Tribute line smokes MIM Fenders easily. Those G&L humbuckers are no joke; very powerful. I like that you can get both a modern tone out of them as well as a more passive, vintage vibe. For rock, blues, country, fusion, metal; it does it all in passive or active mode.

Bang for buck, G&L and The Bass Company (TBC) are the best things out there right now in the $650 and lower price range, IMHO.

13. Are the tributes a true passive? If the battery bites it, will they still have a decent sound?
    And would you say the tributes are comparable to a MIJ Fender Jazz?
    I am getting such great advice from you all. And I haven't even looked at the bass company yet.
  14. dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    The L2000 has an active/passive switch. Actually it’s a 3-way switch: passive/active/active with treble boost. My US G&L ASAT bass has the same set up as a L2000 and I usually keep the bass in passive mode and its still plenty powerful. It'd say the L2000 is more like a Fender J Deluxe (but better IMHO). I believe it’s easily more versatile and powerful than a MIJ Jazz. The SB2 model is totally passive with more powerful, US made PJ pickups; but again, the SB2 has been discontinued so you'd have to do a bit of searching for one. If anything, I’d say the SB2 is closer to a straight up Jazz. The only MIJs currently made that I know of is the Geddy Lee, the Marcus, and the Aerodyne all of which will be made in Mex if not so already (hasn't Fender shut down their Japanese operation?). There are old MIJ Jazzes out there but these are "standard" and reissue models made in Japan before the Mexican factory took off. Some insist the older Japanese Fenders are better than the current Mexican ones. Beats me; if I like it, I like it regardless of where it was made.

Pound for pound, I think you'll get more out of a G&L Tribute.

PS The Bass Company is another big old can of worms here! I'm hearing great things about this company and the basses seem too good to be true given the little money. There are a couple of HUGE threads on TB about them. I'm dying to try one out. They look awesome.
  15. for schecter i say you can't go wrong with a Model T bass, those things look orgasmic, like a tele bass, and it has a P/J config. but those arent $800, so you could probly get a better bass for $800
  16. dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    I thought about that model as well. I didn't recommended it because the first batch of Diamond Series Model Ts had issues with the hardware and pickups, I believe. Bass Player Mag’s review was luke warm at best. I think Schecter changed the stacked controls to vol/vol/tone like on a Jazz, which was a step in the right direction. The pickups have been changed a couple of times as well. I don't know if the current models use EMG HZs or Duncan Designs. The quality of the Model T would appear to depend on the vintage. The Stiletto line, on the other hand, nailed it right out of the gate. Same with some of the other models under the Diamond Series banner. Schecter has some great stuff. However the Model T is the only model from Schecter's Diamond Series that ever got some negative reviews. Besides, if it is an old school vibe with a modern twist one is going for, then the G&L Tribute is a safer route to take or even a MIM Fender Vintage reissue or Fender Mike Dirnt model for that matter.

17. negative reviews? i've read a few reviews and have gotten great reviews, however i havnt read bass players review on it. i'm pretty sure the new the models use seymour duncan basslines. but i'm not sure. either way, i'd rather get a model t over any other schecter cuase i just dont like any other schecter design, even though they are good. its great casue you can get that p/bridge j tone out a bass that looks like a tele bass, which i think is kinda unique. but yeah you'd be right about the G&L's, those are good too
  18. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    The mid-priced Spectors and Schecters are about the same. Fenders are totally different.
  19. Mixmasta J

Mixmasta J

Dec 4, 2004
    Dean edge

nice choice my friend :)
  20. Volk

Dec 18, 2005
    South Jersey
    I've got a Schecter CV-4 for around 500 and I love it, although you can't get it in a sunburst finish anymore...and the new finishes are horrible...

In the end, if you have the cash go for a fender or a specter, I was just too poor at the time to afford one.