1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SHECTER STILETTO 4 - 4 string bass down tuning question

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by TacoOverdose, Jan 7, 2012.

1. TacoOverdose

TacoOverdose

Jan 7, 2012
    I so as you can see in the subject I have a 4 string bass, what I want to know if there is a way to not make the strings rumble and make a hitting, clanking noise with the pick up when tuning to B. can I buy a string pack for a 5 string bass and just use strings 234&5?? Other words the B E A D strings minus the G. I play stuff drop d and below and I want to know if this is a good idea if not please tell me before I screw something up xD thanks c:

2. You should be able to tune to Roughly D Standard with reasonable results. Any lower will be bad.

Typically you want to leave a bass set up in one tuning to preserve action, neck relief, intonation, etc. I keep my 5 string Ibanez BTB set up to a whole step down tuning (ADGCF). Sometimes I drop the D to a C, and ocassionally I tune it back up to drop D, but I try not to do that.

You cannot use a 5 string set without adjusting the instrument. I would go to Guitar Center or another big store with techs you trust, get a pack of heavy-ish gauge strings (I believe DR makes a drop tune pack), and tell the person there you want it set up in Drop D. That way, you will hopefully be able to tune up to standard or down as far as Drop D. You will get results this way, but not optimal results. The best solution would be to buy another bass for D standard and keep yours in Standard.

If you go any lower than Drop C, give some thought to a 5 string. You could put one of those in C standard or Drop B with relative ease.

You will probably require new strings and a set up no matter what you do.