Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Shecter Stilleto Elite 4 VS. Spector Legend 4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Uncle Amos, Jun 22, 2005.

1. Uncle Amos

Uncle Amos

Sep 3, 2004
    I'm in the market for a mid-level bass, and these two are right in my price range. I've done my research, and tried many different basses, but I keep coming back to these two. I went to Musician's Friend.com and checked out their specs, and I'll post them here:

Shecter: Shecter link
    Features:
    * Neck-thru, multi-laminate construction
    * Mahogany wings
    * S-TEK bridge
    * EMG-HZ pickups
    * Two-band active EQ
    * Neck binding
    * Gold hardware
    * Rosewood Fingerboard
    Also, if I'm not mistaken, the neck is maple.

Spector: Spector Link
    Features:
    * Original NS body shape with carved top
    * Highly figured maple top
    * EMG/HZ pickups made in USA
    * EMG 3-band active EQ system
    * Gold-plated hardware
    * Spector heavy-duty locking bridge
    * 24 frets
    * 3-ply rock maple bolt on neck
    * Rosewood fingerboard

So basically the differences are:
    1. woods, (schecter made out of maple and Mahogany wings, and Spector made out of Basswood with Maple Top. both have rosewood fingerboards)
    2. Bridges (S-Tek bridge on Shecter, some sort of Spector bridge on Spector)
    3. Both are active with passive EMG pickups, but the Shecter has 2-band EQ, whereas the Spector has 3-band. Also, the Spector has the option to come with a P/J combo instead of Humbuckers
    4. Body color, I like the colors the Spector comes in better than the Shecter's colors.
    5. Necks: The Schecter is neck-thru, whereas the Spector is Bolt-on.
    6. Also, there is an option to get a Bubinga top on the Spector instead of a Maple top. What effect would this have on tone? Bubinga Top Spector

I'm leaning more towards the spector for a couple reasons. The 3-band EQ, and bolt-on neck are more attractive to me because of versatility and I've heard that bolt-on necks cut through better. I like the fact that the spector comes with a P/J combo option instead of only the HBs. I know that the P/J combo would be very versatile, but what about the HBs? What tone might be available with those? Also, I'm curious as to whether or not the Bubinga top on the Spector migt affect the tone.

I aplogize for the lengthy post, but I would like to get some outside opinions from those who have tried both of these.

Thank you!

2. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I have a Schecter Stiletto Studio and a Korean Spector NS2000/Q5 so I have similar basses, but the preamps are reversed. On the Spector I have a 2-band pre while on the Schecter I have a 3 band pre.

I always thought my Schecter had a more mellow sound while the Spector certainly has more punch/growl/grit/whatever you want to call it. Both basses have the EMG-HZ pickups so the difference would be in the preamp.

My Schecter is mahogany with bubinga top but I'm not sure what wood my Spector is. The neck on my Schecter is a 5 piece neck with a rosewood fretboard with the neck being a maple/walnut combination. The neck on the Spector is straight maple.

I know this may sound silly, but my Schecter has the best tuners I've ever had on any of my basses. This thing will stay in tune for weeks at a time. It's also super easy to fine tune the tuning without going over when using my super-sensitive tuner. :)

I would say if you're looking for punch the Spector might do it for you, my Spector has some serious snap to it. My Schecter is definitely much more laid back sounding. I actually call mine 'Cara-mellow' because of the yummy color and fat smooth sound it generates.

Hope this helps.

3. Jugghaid

Jugghaid

Jun 28, 2002
    Denver, CO, USA
    I have played the 5 string versions of both, not the 4 string versions, but my impression (B string aside) was that the Schecter was a much better bass. I love the Spector USA and Czech basses, some of the finest sounding basses uot there, but the Legend series really left me flat for some reason. It's hard to really pinpoint what it was, but it really did nothing for me. I tried a few different ones to make sure it wasn't just that one bass as well.

The Schecter is a terrific bass for the money. Very comfy, good tone (not great but good) the playability to me was much better than the Spector. YMMV, and I would suggest trying them both out for yourself to see which is a better fit for you, but I liked the Schecter much more.

4. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    try the Yamaha BB414

5. If it's any help, this months Bassplayer mag does a review of the legend 4 and 5. Gets very good review with the only con being the amount of treb.The Yamaha 414 is passive but you might check out the 614 which is active, also reviewed in BP last month.

6. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    Ditto....

http://www.bassplayer.com/story.asp?sectioncode=13&storycode=8989

7. Cool dude, I just played both, same models too!

This is what I came up with...

The Schecter was more "polite" sounding than the Spector. More of a "this is the way an electric bass guitar is supposed to sound." Whereas the Spector was more like "This is the way our basses sound, impolite, loud, rude, obnoxious, and ball shaking. don't like it, but that POS next to me!"

I loved the body contour and overall shape and weight of the Spector, it blew me away. That kind of overal "badassness" from such a pretty little package, kind of like my girlfriend, but that's another website...

The Schecter was, well, a disapointment to me. I had my heart set on a custom for a long time (only diff. is it is a bolt-on, and no nasty gold HW.) But when I played the Elite, I was very very very disappointed. So I picked up the Spector next to it, was couldn't wipe that damned grin off of my face. I handed it over to my girl, and now she's a Spector head. (Her myspace (www.myspace.com) was almost covered in Spector wallpaper, and pictures.

SPECTOR:
    Pros(+)
    * light weight
    * body shape(contour)
    * EMG PJ p'ups are to DIE for!
    * 3-band PRE rocks my socks!
    * b-e-a-utiful bubinga top(cap)
    * fast slim neck
    * hardcore looking bridge(lol)
    Cons(-)
    * Icky gold hardware

SCEHCTER:
    Pros(+)
    * Has a nice "presense" a beautiful bass
    * mild weight, easy on shoulders
    * S-Tek individual "finger styled" "mono-rail" bridge system aids to cancel unwanted string vibrations
    * Neck-through is bad friggin anus!
    Cons(-)
    * Too polite, not enough "HERE I AM!!!" factor
    * Icky gold hardware

IMO, Winner is the Spector Legend 4 PJ hands down, no contest!

.02 deposited... again.
    ~Ryan

BTW, the Bubinga top(cap) will not affect your tone at all. The bass would sound exactly like it does with a flamed maple, or a no top(cap) at all.

8. Derakh Djinn

Derakh Djinn

May 23, 2005
    Michigan
    I'm the oposite, I was very dissapointed with the playability of the Specter in comparison to my Schecter Stiletto Studio. Granted the Specter does have more growl than the Stiletto, but I get that same growl out of my 259$ Brawley, so I guess I'm just partial :)

9. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    Brawleys blew me away. Insane deal!

The only way the Schecter Elite 4 (My Main bass for 1 year now) is really a great bass is by switching the pickups. They're EMG35 housing so it'd be very easy to switch them out. I currently use EMG 35Js with the 2 band pre and it sounds incredible. A world better than what it used to sound, it's a completely different bass. I'd say that an EMG 35TW and EMG 35J or 35P would be the better combinations and would really make that bass sound incredible.

I bought mine for $415 back when, but now you can get Elite 4s pretty darn cheap on Ebay, so that could be the deciding factor.

-Eric.

10. Derakh Djinn

Derakh Djinn

May 23, 2005
    Michigan
    The Brawley aint too shabby, only thing I dont like is the basswood body. I might be trading it off but I'm still considering it.

Personally I didn't like the feel of the Shecter Elite compaired to my Studio, but thats mainly because I like a natural neck and not a high gloss. To each their own, they're still a very nice quality bass for relatively cheap.

Hey Eric, you going to Summer Sickness 2005 in Mosherville on July 2nd?