1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sheehan inspired by Cliff?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by machine gewehr, Apr 7, 2006.

1. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Istanbul
    I was hangin' out at Wikipedia and look what ı found:

"Clifford Lee Burton (February 10, 1962 – September 27, 1986) was the second bassist in the band Metallica, joining the band in late 1982 replacing Ron McGovney. He was, and still is, considered to be one of the best bassists in heavy metal. His life and tragic death have inspired at least two songs and bassists such as Billy Sheehan, Les Claypool and John Myung."

Here's the link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cliff_Burton

Well have you ever heard of that before?Are Sheehan,Claypool and Myung inspired by Cliff?

2. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Wouldn't surprise me at all.

Both very different players, but both exceptional in my book. Serious chops and musical knowledge on both of their parts!

3. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    I don't know about inspiring Sheehan, Billy was playing in Talas in the late 60's. Cliff could have been inspired by Billy, and Billy was already in Roth's band before Metallica even broke out.

4. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    anyone know what those 2 songs are?

5. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Anybody can be influenced by anybody, but Billy Sheehan is at least ten years older than Cliff Burton and was playing long before Metallica began to make any noise. For instance, Sheehan was featured in an amatuer section of Guitar Player almost thirty years ago when I was still in high school. He was even tapping before Van halen.

6. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Istanbul
    Billy and Cliff are my 2 heroes and I'm heavly influenced by both and I watched Sheehan live!!! :hyper: And yes,Sheehan is far better "player" than Cliff but don't forget Cliff died when he was 24 and he was a big musical talent.I wonder what he would be like now,probably a virtuoso and he would be a different player like Sheehan.

The two songs are:
    Metallica- To Live Is To Die
    Megadeth- In My Darkest Hour

7. 1zero

1zero

May 20, 2005
    there is a possibility that cliff could have been inspired by sheehan but then again i doubt it...both not really in the same genre of music to begin with..and then there's the age difference..

8. Audiophage

Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
    Cliff probably did inspire Billy in some way just as Billy inspired Cliff. Just because they became famous doesn't mean that they stopped listening to (and becoming inspired by) other people's music.

9. havik180

havik180

Oct 9, 2005
    SF bay area
    I'm pretty sure Les was inspired by Cliff . After CLiff died Les tried out for Metallica but rumor has it that they turned him down and said "his style didn't fit Metallica" and he was "too good"

10. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    Wikipedia is an END-USER EDITABLE encyclopedia. Think about it.

It's essentially WORTHLESS, because ANYONE can get one there, and say ANYTHING they want. I happen to know of an artist on the verge of a lawsuit against them right now because Wikipedia will not remove "biographical" info on them that is patently false.

Wikipedia is a joke. Remove it from your mental list of trustable resources for info on the net.

11. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    +1

12. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

True, I think Cliff had such a unique approach to bass that that he inspired all sort of bassist.:bassist:

13. trog

trog

Nov 8, 2003
    Scotland
    I think it's ridiculous to say that Cliff didn't influence Sheenan. How anyone could fail to take notice of someone that was playing that radically at the time is beyond me.

Besides, I don't really think it's possible for anyone to draw up a list of people they are influenced by. You're influenced by everything you hear, like it or not.

14. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    UK
    I understand what you're saying but when people say "I was influenced by..." they usually mean "this person's playing style had a direct influence on my own playing style" (usually consciously so)

I'd argue that Bill's style was probably already fully formed before he'd heard Cliff play... so he's unlikely to be 'an influence' in the sense i'd interpret it

that's not intended as any disrespect to Cliff, just.. y'know, basic chronology :)

we can't put words into his mouth but I'd imagine Billy admired Cliff hugely, but... if Billy had never heard a note of Cliff's, I doubt his playing would be much different... so my opinion is, no Sheehan probably wasn't influenced to any noticable degree by Cliff Burton

15. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Maybe he inspired him to write a song? Because it does say his death inspired not him per-say.

16. What in the world could possably make you think this comment is usefull... or indeed relevant in any way?

Anywhoo, they're quite different bassists but... when we're talking about someone liek Cliff, who was the origional bassist for one of the most definitive rock/heavy bands in the world, it's actually quite hard to find a rock bassist who isn't inspired by him. Just like Jaco and Jazz.
    There are bassists everywhere who've had such a profound effect on different genre's of bass that modern day bassists who DONT adopt some kind of influence from them are hard come by.

17. Volk

Volk

Dec 18, 2005
    South Jersey
    If the info is false then they can just edit it out. The user-editable part is what makes wikipedia great. Sure you get some people who will mess of articles every once and awhile, but the articles are reverted soon after and the users banned. They even put some articles on review and discuss whether they are one sided or not, with really top notch people in the discussion.

18. Audiophage

Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
    In some ways people are more influenced by what they don't like about music than what they do. Awesome Avatar btw.

19. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    +1, Very true!!

20. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Well, I don`t think so.
    I`ve been watching "Cliff `em all" for the first time a couple of days ago and actually found it quite boring and uninspiring.

I know Cliff was a great bassist, but I don`t think it`s so hard to find rock bassists who weren`t influenced by him.