1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sheehan-izing a bass - woofer in series or parallel?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by craigb, Apr 12, 2010.

1. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

Hey Y'all,

I'm going to be adding a neck humbucker ala Billy Sheehan's basses (tried a BB714BS and loved the tone, if not the ergonomics) and am trying to find out if I should wire it in series or parallel to match. Like I said I was happy with the tone of the BB714BS so I want to match that - but foolishly didn't open it up and take a look at the wiring.

I've found an Attitude wiring diagram so I can add the neck-bucker treble cut switch if I want but don't really have room to add a series/parallel switch to give both options that way.

So any info on the standard way the neck 'bucker is wired on a Sheehan bass?

I'm going to be using a DiMarzio Will Power neck humbucker

2. rmkesler

rmkesler

May 6, 2009
    Winder, GA
  3. craigb

A hard copy of that is included with the pickup - and any dual coil DiMarzio pickup. Unfortunately while that tells how to wire it in various ways (series, parallel, etc.) it doesn't say how it's wired in a Sheehan bass.

This thread http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=420062&highlight=sheehan+wiring has a PDF of a wiring diagram for an Attitude that shows the controls, but again no mention of the pickup series/parallel wiring.

There a number of other threads where folks have done this mod - but I haven't found one where they mention whether they wired the neck 'bucker in series or parallel.

If I can't find an answer then I'll have to wire it up one way, try it out, rewire, try again and decide which one sounds "right". But I was hoping someone could tell me how Yamaha wires up the woofer in the Attitude/BB714BS.

4. I honestly have no idea how mudbuckers are traditionally wired, however, an educated guess would say series, as the DC resistance is usually quite high.

5. coronado3

coronado3 Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2008
    Indiana, USA
    Are you asking if the woofer is in series with the tweeter pickups? (or in parallel like a jazz bass)

I am about to do the same project and was thinking the same thing....

6. It should be fairly obvious that the pickups are parallel to each other. It would not be possible to put two pickups in series while running them to separate outputs, without the aid of an active circuit, as the two output jacks share a common ground, which would short one pickup out, if placed in series with the other.

7. craigb

I never did find the "official answer" but went for series (based on my experience with G&L's series/parallel switch with the MFD humbuckers and my goals for the neck bucker) and have been quite pleased with the result.

The 3 different pickups are parallel (vol/vol/vol/tone)

8. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    LOL. One post apart (though separated by over a year).

9. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Those two posts are talking about two different things...

The first is discussing the interconnection of the two coils of a "mudbucker"; which I would agree would be series...especially since the tonal goal is massive low end.

The second is discussing how the mudbucker is connected to another pickup on the same bass. Two pickup basses generally have to pickups connected in parallel.