1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sheet Music creation program

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by AB53211, Apr 3, 2006.

1. AB53211

AB53211

Apr 15, 2004
    Milwaukee,WI
    Do any of you guys know of some sort of program that I could download (or buy) that would allow me to create sheet music (not tab)? I would also need it to play back what I write.

2. boris

boris

Dec 15, 2005
    There is a program called Finale (www.finalemusic.com) It is a bit expensive, but I have a lot of experiance with the program and I think its right what your looking for.

3. If you're not scared of text, you can try out Lilypond. It's different from other notation software in that instead of making you use some lousy GUI you get to just type your music in as plain text. This is a good thing, because, as everyone knows, if you can't do it from within a text editor, it's not worth doing. I recommend using something a little more powerful than Notepad though. Emacs or Vim is a good choice. Like all ethically correct software, Lilypond is free.

4. Thats pretty nuts. I may just have to give that a shot. If you're budget is a bit (well, OK, a lot) more flexible I recomend Sibelius.

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
  6. mcbc

mcbc

Oct 31, 2005
    Cincinnati, OH
    +1 finale

7. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Sibelius is, IMO, much better than Finale. It's also accordingly more expensive, too ;). One of the teachers at my school does all the arrangements for our school's big band, the university big band, and his OWN big band with Sibelius and swears by it. I'll be picking up a copy of Sibelius and an iBook G4 for when I go to college next year. GREAT software.

8. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I have Sibelius, Finale and NoteWorthy Composer on my computer. I'm still pretty bad at Sibelius and Finale.

9. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Er, yeah -- that's also worth mentioning...the learning curve on both programs is pretty steep.

10. Pruitt

Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    As another option, I've used a fairly inexpensive piece of notation software for a while now, called MusEdit. It's pretty easy to use, has Midi playback and has suited my simple needs to this point. YMMV. ;)

Best of luck and have fun!

11. I use Guitar Pro, you can enter both tabs and notification.

12. Finale and Sibelius appear to be the industry standards. Finale has a couple of cheaper versions, but I don't recall whether Sibelius does.

My needs are not ultra-heavy-duty, so I use a program called Mozart Virtuoso. About $125. www.mozart.co.uk

All these programs have free demo versions that you can download. I'd suggest you try a couple and see which one comes easiest.