Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sheet Music program

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by sargebaker, Oct 3, 2004.

1. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    Hey guys. It is my last year of highschool and there is this "personal project" we have to do which is basically a long arse project that's really big so I decided to do one of those instructional bass books. The problem is I don't have a program to write sheet music. I was wondering if anyone knows any programs that are out there that are preferably cheap or free that I could use. My frined sent me Guitr Pro 4 but it doesn't seem to have Fa Clef... I need help because the deadline is drawing nearer (like 5 months from now) and I still have to make up most of the excercises and find a company to like bind the book and what not/ record a CD to go with it. So any help would be appreciated.

Also if there are any luthiers who wouldn't mind having me interview them (short interveiw) just on basic setup and maintenance I would appreciate it. (I need the interview so I can site an interview :p)

Thanks,
    Baker

2. Powertab.net

Download it. its awesome

3. josh_m

josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    Finale is by far my favorite, I was working for my old highschool and they let me install it on my home computer since I could only work a few hours a day (money issues.) Maybe your school has it and you can do all your writing at the school?

4. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    The music teacher has it (finale) I'll ask him If I could burn a copy...If worse comes to worse I could maybe write the whole thing at school... Thanks and keep the suggestions coming.

5. you could always download Finale Notepad. It's a stripped down version of Finale, but it's free and does the basics. Check it out.

6. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    When I'm done writing my restaurant review I'll definately check it out! Thanks! I'm thinking of not including tab in the book, frankly because...Tab is the devil! it's crippling, it's a parasite that's impossible to get rid of (I can't stop reading tab :crying: ) what do you guys think?

7. You could also try Sibelius. That's what my school has.

8. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    ...methinks CLAN TABEVIL has a "Sargent-At-Arms" here!

Welcome to the clan, LARGEBARKER TABEVIL, from your brother TARD TABEVIL.

(The desire to not waste time on the devil's own musical handwriting, and the understanding that is what it is qualifies you, even if you can't totally wean yourself from it's clutches.)

Oh, and I'd suggest trying Finale Notepad, works fine, and the price is right.

9. Finale seems to be the favourite here. Can you download a demo version of it?

10. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    Yup, but it's pretty limited. You can't save as midi and I don't think there's any options for swing, or upbeats among other things. Or perhaps I haven't found them yet. (Google it if you're looking for where to download it)

11. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    Thanks guys I just downloaded notepad, the fact that it's basic shouldn't matter much seeing as it's a begginners "manual" and I doubt I'll be gettign into anythgin TOO complicated. Now to find some way to bind the book once it's done. :) Also any interested luthiers (for the short interview) drop a PM.

Also does anyone have any tricks on Unlearning tab/ learning sheet. I bought one of those learn bass really quickly cheesy beginner books and took a sharpie and coloured out all the tab... I got a little impatient with it after awhile... I'm going to try to start doing that again when I can finish this darn slap exercise.

Thanks.

12. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    Wow guys, I just got Finale Notepad and it seems to be JUST what I'm looking for, a little technical so I,ll need practice but thanx guys!

13. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    I use Sibelius 3. Finale is good too though.