Sheet Music Reading.

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by dot74, Sep 11, 2000.

1. dot74

Aug 24, 2000
    I've been reading these forums for about 2 weeks now and have had most of my questions answered before even asking them, however, my question is : How Do I read sheet music?
    Is there something online that is easy to understand?

TABS are cool, but I WANT more. :)
  2. MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Check your local music store and/or bookstore for a book on how to teach yourself to read music. Try and find one with a companion CD so you can hear the examples in the book. If you want to spend a little more dough look for a class at a local college or ask about instruction at your music store.
  3. Reading music is kindof difficult when you first try to learn. I first learned how to read music when I was 10 yrs old or something like that. It's really easy once you get the hang of it (it's alot better than TAB-Ugh!). If I were you, I'd try to find an teacher to show you the bassics. After you know them, you can learn how to read any kind of music. Later!

Woofy Out!
  4. gmstudio99

Mar 11, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Take lessons...doesn't even have to be from a bass/guitar teacher...take piano lessons or music reading lessons from a piano teacher or local school music teacher...

5. Check out:

and look for "The Libster Reading Course"

Libby Bee has one of the best on-line sites, and is very helpful...

- Wil
  6. dot74

Aug 24, 2000
    Thank you for the info, I will try all of the suggestions posted.......I'm willing to try anything once.
  7. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

An excellent and simple book that helped me to learn to read music is "Teach Yourself to Read Music." I don't have it handy, so I can't tell you the author or publisher, but I have seen it recently in both Barnes and Noble and Borders, even though I originally bought it ten years ago. It is paperback.

I like it because it is written in simple language, while many "theory" books can be extremely complex and far more detailed than someone just trying to read sheet music will require. If you find you want to know more, you can always buy one of the more detailed books later.

The book is written in regard to keyboard, but will be helpful to you because it explains both bass clef and trebel clef. If you buy sheet muisic, both will be there anyway. SO it isn't a bad idea to be at least familiar with both clefs.

Good luck whatever way you choose to learn standard noatation. You will never be sorry you did.

Jason Oldsted

8. Well perfect timing again! lol. I remember posting the same question a few weeks back and I think Bruce and Jason pointed me in the right direction and I was roaming around looking for the blasted thread.

I've been asked to record for a progressive metal band and they have to have the notation in chords.and I bloody forgot the site! lol. Thankgod ol' Libster heh? ;)

Thanx All, saved my butt!

*hey no looking at my butt*
  9. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Hey Merls -

They're a lot of "cheeky bum lookas", eh? ;)

Good luck with the recording :)
  10. Mandude

Apr 19, 2000
    There's a book called "Reading music made easy" For the life of me I can't remember the author, but the book is pretty easy to learn from, and it addresses all sorts of musical odds and ends that one might come accross.