Sheet music site advice request

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by 66002, May 14, 2018.

1. 66002

Apr 26, 2018
    New Hampshire
    I'm still relatively new here. I haven't searched everything. My apologies. I will happily delete this post if I find I'm being redundant. I'm not sure where else in this talkbass I should ask the question so here' goes.

I would like to find sheet music for songs one at a time that include:
    standard notation treble cleff
    standard notation bass cleff
    lyrics
    Chords indicated above
    bass tab would be a bonus but not necessary.

Plenty of sites out there that require money.

2. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

yep: that's their business!

i can occasionally find some jazz tunes (lead sheet / real book style) by googling (images). good luck with the free music! :thumbsup:

tabs? :rollno:

3. TedH

TedH

Dec 6, 2014
    Westchester, NY
    As someone who has transcribed a few songs, I'm happy to pay someone $5 to have done it. It is a long, and sometimes painful, process to do accurately. I realize that many of the sites are not individuals, but that sort of misses the point - it takes time to do it accurately, and if I don't have the time, or I'm not willing to, then giving someone a few dollars for the effort and organization is fair enough. There are a lot of free charts, many of excellent quality, however, if you really want a chart and someone is charging $3-5 for it, just pay it. The mile in their moccasins convinced me that it is a small price to pay.

4. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    This. You get what you pay for. Even when purchasing music, there may be some errors because it is a tedious process sometimes. Good luck.

5. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Agree... I try obtaining what I'm looking for, any way I can, rather than transcribe it myself...

... but there's no better way to commit a song to memory, I think.

6. TedH

TedH

Dec 6, 2014
    Westchester, NY
    Exactly. I find the piano charts have a lot of embellishments or "build in the vocal melody" or "combine the piano and organ into one" moments; the bass parts are largely pretty good.

MonetBass and 66002 like this.
  7. 66002

Apr 26, 2018
    New Hampshire
    All great responses thank you. Please let me rephrase:

I will benefit from the exercise of learning a song through breaking it down and memorizing the chord progressions, bass fills, and possibly adding my own improvisation.

But to begin it is a great help to have the basics in the form of the score written in standard notation. Are there any sites that tend to be of the best quality and accuracy that also generally provide both treble and bass cleff at a reasonable price?

8. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Tom Read, Roxbororob and design like this.
  9. TedH

TedH

Dec 6, 2014
    Westchester, NY
    They are sort of everywhere. I usually google "song name + bass + PDF" for best results, and that often entails looking at the photo link in the results. Not all of them give the chords, but many do.

Some sites:
    Musicnoteslib.com
    Transcriptions Archive - Cocos Bassment
    Transcription Archive
    Bass Camera - video lessons for you play bass today
    http://www.thebassment.info/

The other way to search is to look for piano transcriptions, which will often have much of the bass line, and typically all the chords on a lead sheet.

Guitarodeo and Bijoux like this.
  10. EarnestTBass

EarnestTBass

Feb 3, 2015
    I have collected a large personal library of bass transcriptions and am glad to share what I have.

I have a library because other TalkBassers have generously shared with me. I have taken far more from this site than I have given.

If you have a specific request, ask for it. Help others when you can. Welcome to TalkBass.

66002, oldrocker, TedH and 7 others like this.
  11. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
  12. Jborg

Jborg

Feb 1, 2018
    Long Island, NY
    It may not be exactly what your looking for..but.. IReal pro is an app that I use almost daily. Not only are there chords for over a thousand songs, but you can transpose the keys at will, and the app has recorded backing tracks w/ drums, piano, bass. Plus, you change the tempo, instrument levels & key of the song. It’s pretty cool to have a few Real books in your laptop or tablet.

13. Blissful_Lad

Blissful_Lad Inactive

Feb 22, 2018
    LA/NYC
    OP, why should you get all this copyrighted material for free? This is someone's else's intellectual property that you, seemingly, want to... steal. :rollno:

Perhaps I misunderstood your: "Plenty of sites out there that require money" complaint.

getbent and Pendulous like this.
  14. tradernick

tradernick

Mar 19, 2008
    When you say 'songs', what kind of songs are you talking about? Jazz standards? Modern pop songs? Motown?

Or are you looking for a variety. There's a lot of stuff available on the 'net. Unfortunately a lot of it is wrong and even some of the paid stuff is wrong (I've seen many bad changes in MusicNotes charts).

Like EarnestTbass, I have a lot of transcriptions, most of which I've done myself. I'll be glad to help if I can. Let us know some of the stuff you're looking for

66002 likes this.
  15. Meghans Dad

Meghans Dad Gold Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2016
    California
    The "Real Book"s by Hal Leonard are only about $40 each with about 400 standards in each one. On the other hand, the material on this website looks like some just scanned the Hal Leonard pages and posted them on a website. You can even see the lines from the binder. I'm no copyright lawyer, but this looks questionable to me. Why participate in a ripoff when you can get a lot of material at a pretty reasonable price?

getbent, 66002 and Fredrik E. Nilsen like this.
  16. bench

bench

Dec 28, 2007
    Germany
    imslp.org

66002 and mikewalker like this.
  17. glocke1

glocke1 Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2002
    PA

thats awesome...

Someone should make a sticky for all these transcription sites.

66002, Deak and Spidey2112 like this.
  18. This. Again and again.

19. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    i'd be interested to hear if you even know what percentage an artist gets of a transcription of their music. because i've looked it up and can't see how this is regulated. have you ever transcribed a piece of music? did you contact the artist to pay them their due?

20. Transcribing other peoples music for educational and learning purposes is not illegal. Making money on other peoples copyrighted material without permission (or making it publically available) is illegal. Huge difference. If you transcribe a bassline and just make it available on the net, noone is probably gonna care. If you scan a book of transcriptions and do the same, you should be in trouble.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021