Sheet Music

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Kaitlyn, Oct 9, 2017.

1. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn

Sep 7, 2017
    Hi, so I'm trying to practice reading music and I've learned all the basic notes and music symbols and all that jazz (bass). However, I can't seem to find any good sheet music, I'm a relatively new to bass (a little more than 3 weeks) and I've read a little sheet music before on other instruments (nothing super advanced). Does anyone have any suggestions or could maybe send a picture of something I could practice on? Thanks!

2. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    Classical bass method book was the best thing I
    ever did for my playing early on.
    Others will chime in soon.

Kaitlyn likes this.
  3. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    Google "bass transcriptions". Tons of standard notation to work on.

Kaitlyn likes this.
  4. Yes, ask Google for Standard notation, bass clef and you should get all you need.
    Here is a must have:

https://www.amazon.com/Real-Book-Bass-Clef-Sixth/dp/0634060767/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1507599830&sr=8-1&keywords=the+real+book,+bass+clef

Now that will give you the tune in bass clef. Not a bass line for that tune. However if my memory is correct it will show the chord name and you can go from that to form a bass line for the tune.

I do not recommend the Kendal version. I need something on my music stand where the font is large enough so I can read the staff.

In fact I took my book to the print shop and had them spiral bind it. Another $8. Looks like this edition comes with a plastic comb. My point you want a spiral binding or plastic comb version so it will lay flat on your music stand.

Welcome to the bottom end.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  5. bulyginbass

bulyginbass

Sep 3, 2015
  6. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    Pitch is easy, rhythm is hard.

I have found it tremendously helpful to isolate rhythm alone to practice reading
    Cliff Engle's PDF of rhythm only exercises is an excellent resource.

7. basshawk

basshawk

Dec 18, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Here's a link to a great tool for sight reading:

Practice Sight Reading and Sight Singing Exercises Online – Sight Reading Factory®

8. wizerd

wizerd

Jan 5, 2012
    Prone to ranting, episodes of moral outrage.
    Good advice from others here. Try any classical piano collection and read the bass clef only. Try reading a different piece every day and avoid memorizing. Happy playing

9. ProfFrink

ProfFrink

Jan 16, 2015
    AidanHampson likes this.
  10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021