Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

sheet music

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by Bijoux, May 26, 2002.

1. Bijoux

Bijoux

Aug 13, 2001
    Denver-CO-USA
  2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Looks PFC. If I could only read...

3. Bijoux

Bijoux

Aug 13, 2001
    Denver-CO-USA
    I can get a great computer with that money, that shouldn't cost more than a couple of hundred, well we'll just wait in the future they will come down in price and have some unbelievible features, you can have about 12 real books in it and change keys on the spot no more problems with chick or dude singers!:p

4. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I'll wait for the model with the integrated firearm for singers and other unsavory front-line folks.

5. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Gimmicky. The value of its doing away with page-turners is offset by the risk that it could die during performance.

6. Harry Connick Jr. started using flat screens for his big band a couple of years ago. He'd do an arrangement in Finale and not even have to print out the parts. In the (unlikely) chance that there was a mistake, or if he decided the key wasn't right, he'd simply go into the original file and change it.

I've even seen Connick credited as the originator or developer of systems like this.

Again, the risk of equipment failure would make me very nervous about using this system, and I doubt if any symphony orchestra would use it.

7. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Connick's patented his system (U.S. Patent No. 6,348,648):

What is claimed is:

1. In a network of computerized devices each containing programming for displaying music on a display device, the computerized devices being used by each of a plurality of players in an orchestra under direction of a conductor, a method for facilitating leading of the orchestra, the method comprising:

registering an identity of an instrument in use by each player and the corresponding computerized device being used by the player;

receiving at a computerized device in use by the conductor a change to a musical arrangement represented in a handwritten format, the conductor's computerized device comprising means for converting changes from handwritten format to electronic music type format;

allowing the conductor to select whether the change is to be sent to all players in the orchestra or only to one or more players using an instrument impacted by the change;

if the conductor selects to send the change only to the player or players using an instrument impacted by the change, determining which instrument or instruments are impacted by the change and identifying the corresponding computerized device or devices registered for that instrument;

allowing the conductor to select whether the change should be converted to electronic music type format before transmission to the one or more players; and

transmitting the change to one or more players in accordance with the conductor's selections.