Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sheet Music

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by rangerz715, Apr 7, 2003.

1. I've found several good free sites for tabs but I havnen't really seen any for regular sheet music. Anybody know of any good free sites for sheet music? Thanks

2. as far as i knew, sheet music always had to be bought. i have had the same trouble too, as in i cant find free sheet music. I found a whole sheet music book of metallica on KaZaA, try that.

3. ConU

ConU

Mar 5, 2003
    La Belle Province
    Lucaspickford.com...lots of jazz stuff.

4. Im looking more for rock stuff

5. ConU

ConU

Mar 5, 2003
    La Belle Province
    stop looking;)

6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Part of me really wants to move this to Tabz, but I'll put it in GI instead.

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think the problem is that you can copyright sheet music - so sites will generally run into problems - like getting sued - if they publish stuff on their sites, that they don't own themselves. Paul explained this, when we suggested a sheet music section for TalkBass.

8. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Write your own! Your skills will grow if you figure things out by ear, but if you also figure out how to write that down, you're providing a reminder when you return to that track a month down the line and also building your reading skills (for when you do find an accurate transcription of a song you want to learn).

It also helps focus your mind if you have to figure out where each note occurs and how long it lasts so that you can write it down - it's certainly helping me move off the plateau of "that's close enough".

Wulf

9. I agree that writing my own is the best but im nowhere near good enough to write it... guess ill just have to stick with tabs.

10. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Why not? What do you get stuck on?

I'm certainly not an excellent transcriber - it takes me ages and I still make lots of mistakes - but I'm definitely improving through regular practise.

Don't give up too easily!

Wulf

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well the other things is to work with a teacher or go to classes - I get loads of sheet music this way and have folders stuffed with A4 sheets of music, that I haven't looked at for ages!! ;)

Another site is : www.bassically.net

Stu Hamm's "Quahogs" trascription will keep most people going for a few years!! ;)

12. Nice! The sites great! Just one problem, not in english.;) Oh well, ill deal with it. By the way, what language is it?