Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sheffield Bass Drivers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dan Loader, Jun 29, 2003.

1. I'm saving up for the next addition to my rig, a 2x10TVX Peavey cab, which uses 10" Sheffield speakers.
    Since my 8 stone 115 combo is too big to lug to smaller practices, I plan to pick up a smaller (100watt or so) head so I can take the 210 to practices with the head.

In addition to this, I play quite a bit of Jazz guitar. My 6string plays wonderfully through the 115, much to my surprise, but what I really want is a decent electric guitar head. Getting to the point:
    Can I use a guitar head amp through 2 sheffield bass drivers? The Sheffield is used in the Peavey Bandit guitar amps, so I don't see why the fuller range bass speaker shouldn't handle it. Also, would I have any problems with the tweeter when using a conventional electric guitar through the cab?

2. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    Peavey manufactures their own "Scorpion" and "Black Widow" drivers. I believe "Sheffield" is a name Peavey puts on speakers that other companies make for them. Previous to that, they didn't have any "name", just something like "Heavy Duty Bass Speaker", and a lot of them were made by Eminence.

I would be very surprised if they used the same model speaker in a Bandit; all they have in common in the manufacturer. However, your guitar shouldn't hurt your bass speaker any. I couldn't tell you much about how the horn would tolerate that.

3. My Black Widow driver is Eminence, I'm pretty sure about that. Peavey make Scorpion and Blue Marvel speakers.

I've seen a site about Sheffields on my travels, I can't remember where it was, but it had the various different models of them. The bass drivers were just reinforced with lower frequencies attainable.

Does anyone know if the horn would be damaged?

4. ive got a PV 2x10TVX and daddy occasionly plays jazz guitar thru it, i make him turn the horn accuator down to zero just in case, i think its only overdriven or distorted guitar sounds that hurn horns, but better safe then sorry. Also the horn accuator on PV 2x10 TVX's goes upto 11, so thats one louder then 10:D

5. You can do that? I didn't realise it had a volume pot for the horn. Well, that clears it all up :)

Next investment, a 210TVX from Peavey. Cheers for the help!

6. not a problem my hard rocking amigo, but bear in mind the PV 2x10 aint no small cab, still really need 2 people to carry it, unless your a big guy, which i aint:(

7. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I'll let you in on a little secret, but you've gotta promise not to tell your's guitarist friends. Bass amps make pretty darn good guitar amps.

At high volume you may test the horn a little but it shouldn't blow. Most horns nowdays have a little light bulb that comes on to protect the horn and let you know that you may have to back off a bit.

8. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Peavey Basic 60 combo amp I have had/used for about 12 years is loaded with a Shefield 12" woofer. It's always performed perfectly for me...no problems with it if that helps. Sounds good to me for what I use it for.

9. I found that out when playing Jazz guitar through my 15" Black Widow. It sounded better than any guitar amp I'd ever played, and for obvious reasons had the best low end my Tanglewood has ever experienced!

Does anyone know if the PV 210TVX as a protection circuit for the tweeter?

10. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    What makes you so sure? I've never seen any marks of an Eminence on a BW, or any other Peavey for that matter. I'm not saying it's not possible for other companies to make Peavey stuff, but I do doubt your BW isn't Peavey.

11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

12. My reason for saying that is the manual. It claims that the Combo 115 has an 80 ounce magnet Eminence Speaker.

13. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    In some of their bigger combo's the base model uses an Eminence driver and the fancier model uses a Black Widow; the models are sometimes named like: TNT-115 vs TNT-115BW.

14. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    That's what I was thinking. Cool enough, I have an 18" BW magnet over here that is so old it just says "patent applied for" :D

15. embellisher

The Black Widow is not standard. It is an upgrade that costs extra. The manual was made to cover the description of the standard equipment.

16. So now I know even less about my amp than when I started... great.

17. embellisher

All the rest of the information in the manual should be accurate. If yours has a Black Widow speaker, that is the only difference. And it is an improvement over the stock Sheffield/Eminence speaker.