Sheila Jordan

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by jazzbo, Jan 11, 2002.

1. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I was listening to our local jazz radio station, 91.1 FM KCSM, and I heard an excellent piece that was a duet, DB and voice. Unfortunately, the DJ only identified the artist, Sheila Jordan, and not the song title.

Does anybody know this song I refer to?
  2. Sheila Jordan works and records in this format quite a lot. So it could've been any number of songs.

I don't know who it is presently, but her longtime bassist was Harvie Schwartz.

Personally, the voice/bass duet is one of my favorite formats to play in. I play in a quartet that occasionally backs up a singer, and she'll often wave the rest of the band out so we can do the duet thing for a chorus or so. Cool sound.
  3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Shiela Jordan has recorded a number of CDs of duets with just voice and bass. She has performed in this format for years, mostly with bassists Harvie Swartz and Cameron Brown.

Her most recent duo CD is "I've Grown Accustomed to the Bass" with Cameron Brown on Highnote records.

Tracks: The Very Thought of You; Better Than Anything; Mourning Song; Tribute Quasimodo; Embraceable You; Goodbye Pork Pie Hat; Good Morning Heartache; I Got Rhythm; Listen to Monk; Sheila's Blues; I've Grown Accustomed to the Bass.
  4. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Is there a particular CD that one might suggest?

Thank you.