Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

sheilded/unsheilded cables

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cobrasneverdie, Dec 25, 2003.

1. i recently just got my cab/head but should i use sheilded or unsheilded cables to connect them?

2. Hmn, you know, I am not really sure, but I noticed you are from the quad cities, do you go to Moline High school?(I am from Taylor Ridge, right outside of milan)

3. An unshielded speaker cable is what you need. Make sure it's speaker cable, 16 gauge or better (lower numbers are better--a 12 gauge cable is better than a 14 gauge.) You don't need to spend a lot of money, a three foot speaker cable can be had for 10 bucks. Ignore the folks who tell you you need a $50 super-duper speaker cable, that's hogwash. Look for the cable that's got two wires side by side, like a lamp cord.

DO NOT use an instrument cable--the kind of cable you use to go from your bass to the head. The instrument cable is light gauge.

4. I've got one of those super duper $50 speaker cables. You're right, its hogwash I can't hear any noticable difference in tone. The same with my monster bass instrument cable. But thats another story...

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I agree that it's hogwash ... but I use ProCo Guardian Fat Max 8-gauge, just in case.

6. yea im a freshman at moline. and it turns out i got a 12 gauge cable today.

7. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Awesome! I gots to get me some of those!

8. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Ditto on both. :)

9. Excellent article, PBG.

I use 16 gauge as a minimum for a 3 foot cable. 14 gauge is better, and 12 better still. Getting below 12, IMHO, gets to a point of diminishing returns. And the weight of the cable becomes a factor. Some cabs and heads have cheap jacks and a very heavy wire could even be detrimental.

To really lessen the cable's effect on damping factor, run a separate cable from the cab to each driver. (Picked up that tip from the Peavey website.)