sheilding advice, i know!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by tyburn, May 28, 2001.

1. i'm gonna start in a band in a couple of weeks, so i need to get ready, the problem i have is the infamous " grounding problem", the old, 'the sound goes away when i touch the strings.

now i want to have a go at using the copper tape to shield the cavity, i just need some tips, once i have covered the inside, up to the bevel on the cavity , what do i have to do with respects to grounding that?

also, will i have to do the pickup cavities?

the noise on my j bass is a combination of things
    but mostly grounding, some times it's not there, if i play away from a particular amp, or if i go through my 708.

i've had the multimeter out and i have strong connection from the jack to the bridge, but i'll check that when i sheild it, the last time i saw the ground at the bridge end there was a go inch or so stripped back

so really i need, and others, need few good posts on the do's and don'ts

cheers, oh and how much copper tape will i need for the entire jazz?
  2. =^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    When I did my own bass I got some sheets of self adhesive copper (they were about 20 * 30 cm) which seemed easier than the tape.

I made a paper template for the bottom of the control cavity, cut it out from the sheet and stuck it in, did the same with the pickup cavity and the back of the control cover. Cut some strips for round the sides of the cavity and stuck them in - ensuring that they would come into contact with the copper on the cover and the base of the cavity.

Once it was all in place I soldered a lead onto a washer which I screwed into the side of the cavity and soldered the other end onto the back of one of the pots. Finally I ran a thin bit of wire through to the pickup cavity and earthed that with another washer and screw.

How much you need depends on how big the control cavity is on your bass. Just remember - measure twice and cut once ! It works out a LOT cheaper