1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sheilding or ground issue?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by cb56, May 2, 2006.

1. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I just got a Schecter Model T 5 used that has passive pickups and electronics. It has a P and a J pickup. Both Duncan Design pickups. The bass sounds great. Very Fendery vintage sounding.
    The problem is, I get a buzz whenever the J pickup is turned on. The P pickup by itself is quiet but as soon as I turn the J pickup on the buzz begins. This is true even with both pickups on full or with the J on just by itself. The buzz is slightly quieter with both pups on but still there. The buzz goes away slightly when I touch the strings but is there while touching or not. If I move around the buzz gets louder and softer depending on which way I'm standing but is always there.
    My question is, is this a grounding problem or a sheilding problem or a combination of both? If there are any simple things I can look for, I would appreciate some suggestions.

2. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    A combination of both. A properly shielded control cavity will still have some hum from a solo'd single coil but less so and star grounding will make "touching the strings to eliminate the hum" a non issue.

3. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Sounds like
    1. grounding
    2. maybe a bad pickup
    3. maybe a bad wiring job in general. Did someone hack the V-V-T setup or is this bass wired in a different fashion ?

Unless you did all your testing in a farily high emi / rfi environment shielding shouldn't really be at play here. In and of itself, it isn't a bad idea though.

The J pickup is a single coil so it will make noise in a hostile environment. Run full on with the P should mitigate that however.

4. Put a split coil J bridge pickup in.
    Seymour Duncan Classic Stack ( "noiseless") is a good one.
    I believe Dimarzio makes one but not sure if they sell it singularly without the neck pickup.

5. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    This is an issue because the P pickup is a humbucking pickup, while the single J is not. The J doesn't have another single coil to cancel hum with, so it will buzz. The only solution is a hum-cancelling pickup, such as a DiMarzio ultrajazz, or a Nordstrand nj4se.

6. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I'll need to find a good guitar tech because i'm pretty useless at this stuff. I think I will get some sheilding tape and have a go at that myself. I like the idea of the stacked J pickup. I may do that. Thanks.

7. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Ok, I think I've decided this is a sheilding issue because I have been able to get the hum to go away 99% of the time when I move to around and find the right position to stand in. I do have one more question about the stacked J pickup suggestion. I'm not so sure that this bass doesn't already have one in it. Can you tell just by looking at it? I pulled the pickup out of the bass and it looks pretty thick 3/4 of an inch from top to bottom compared to the P pickup which is only 1/2 inch thick. If this is already a stacked jazz pickup then maybe it's gone bad?

8. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    Only after shielding and star grounding is the Carvin j99 in my p/j nearly imperceptible when solo'd.