Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sheilding the cavity.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Im a sock, Dec 29, 2002.

1. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    Hi. Ive already made a couple posts reguarding this, but i'm rehabing an old bass I got from a friend, and I'm completely re-doing the electronics, pickups and all. I'm pretty new to this, so I only kind of know what I'm doing.

I think the cavity needs to be sheilded, but I'm not sure, because it's got the same coating as the rest of the bass. I attached a big picture of the cavity, if anyone wants to check it out.

Also if it does need to be shielded, how do i go about doing it? Any feedback would be greatly, greatly appreciated.

2. Nate Dawg

Nate Dawg

Apr 8, 2000
    Denver, CO
    Hey! It looks like the control cavity of my bass! Which means that it's unshielded and probably noisy (like mine). I've been thinking about doing this to mine also so I'm eager to see if anybody has any tips.

3. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    That is an unshielded cavity for sure. If bass has humbuckers, you may be able to get away with not shielding it, but I'd do it anyway. As suggested earlier, copper tape, shielding paint or heavy aluminium foil can be used. For more info, do a search here on TB - this was discussed in detail before.

4. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area