Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Shelding help

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bassbully43, Jul 19, 2005.

1. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    I hope this is the right place i tryed a search but no hits. My new Sx jazz has some single coil hum which i noticed more now that i have a new GK rig. I heard you can help this by shelding the contol panel walls with copper tape? Do you just cut it and stick it in there on the wood filling the walls with shelding. Will this help and where do i get the shelding?

2. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    great..thank you

3. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

to my knowledge, shielding won't help for true single coil hum since it's a signal that's inherent and not picked up externally. GK's tend to be heavy on the top end and substantial increase in trebles will even emit noise from HB's in my experience. If it has tweeters and you can live with cutting them off that would probably suffice.

If you shield it, I would throw down a piece of electrical tape below each set of pot lugs and on the wall anywhere a hot lug is close cause there's no better medium for shorts in a control bay that I know of than foil shielding.

Of course they are a myriad of quiet J pups available that put out a range of tones to suit taste.

4. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    thanks for the help. i did the sheiding using self stick alum tape you get at the hardware that is heat resistent for duct work. I think it helped some or im getting better at setting my amp and learning it. I also have my gear in a small room and cant move to far away from the amp the ferther away the better. I will take it apart and put the tape on thats a great idea cuz it will cause a dead short and fry something. What jazz pups are quiet and will not make me go broke. I love the SX pups they are hot and sound great.

5. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

if it's done I wouldn't worry about the electrical tape, it's primarily precautionary for first firing up. If there were an issue you'd know already. Also much easier to do with the pots out of the bass. Along the walls near a hot lug would still be a good a idea cause pots can loosen up and turn and contact the wall where they didn't before. Nothing would get fried at any rate but you could easily end up with the bass cutting out at an inopportune moment.

If your like for the pups outweighs the noise issue I wouldn't bother with changing pups. Some guys just can't take any noise and they'll do whatever it takes to ditch it.

6. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    I am in the middle..yea they are hot but i hate the noise and fear lights from a gig or something might make it worse. I wonder what low noise pups are out there that dont cost more than the bass. Are Bassliners any good? they are priced half decent.

7. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

All manufacturers make pups that will appeal and won't appeal to most players depending on what they've looking for. For the most part, you can buy pups used and it won't cost you much if anything in the long run if you pay typical used market price. You simply sell them when you're done with them or pull them when you sell the bass and put the originals back keeping the replacements for another bass. If you get a popular set of pups used at a good price you'll actually make money cause they retain their value and are in demand.

Ebay's as good a source for pups as any. On a number of occassions I've seen popular sets of pups go for more on ebay used then you can buy them for new from a net site at the time. And often new sets of pups go for used prices on ebay.

Pups are reliable and simplistic in structure so it's not like buying some complex piece of electronics that's likely to be sold becuase it's screwed up to begin with, get beat to pieces in shipping, or with a lot to go wrong after the fact.

If you're in no hurry, what you're looking for will probably show at an acceptable price within a month if you keep a watch every few days.

8. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    How much does a good quality cord help? Will a good high end cord reduce noise. I use a 15.00 cord 25' maybe a better one will help?

9. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

the issue with passive operation and cords is usually regarding degradation of the signal quality for cord lengths beyond 15' and quality of the cord doesn't appear a significant factor. Most players that run longer cord lengths play through an active harness/and/or pups. I have no use for cord lengths beyond 10 or 15' and I haven't been able to tell any difference at all between cheapo cords and quality cords at 10'. Don't know about longer lengths.