Sheldon Dingwall just called me...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Flatwound, Feb 27, 2004.

1. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    ...from Saskatoon, Saskatchewan in the frozen north. I had left him a phone message with a few questions about my upcoming Afterburner purchase. I'm not a professional, nor a well-known amateur, but I get this level of service. I'm guessing you would, too. I told him he could e-mail me if he wanted to, but he was willing to call me long-distance and clear up any questions I had. We talked about the body woods he had available, pickup designs, currently available finish colors (Barry is going to e-mail me some pix), the sound sample thread, and so on.

I'm really amazed that you can just call and talk to these guys. I was 99 44/100 % sure I was going to buy an Afterburner, but all doubt is gone now.

On other occasions, I've talked to Mike Tobias and Ken Smith. They just happened to answer the phone when I called. I've really learned a lot from these conversations, but one thing I've really learned is that these guys care and will give you personal service. I e-mailed Alembic once to ask about their strings, and got a detailed answer pretty quickly from Mica Wickersham.

But for me, Sheldon's the king, because he called me.

I really am going to have to change my tag line. :bassist:
  2. Yep, Sheldon is a great guy to work with. He is very friendly and fast to reply and very customer oriented, which is something that is usually (and oddly) lacking in a lot of businesses that operate these days.

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY

One of THE best in the business.

Sheldon has also contacted me personally on the phone & discussed my ideas of upgrading my electronics on my Prima.

He's a stand up guy & a fanatic with his products.

PS: I just might take the upgrade plunge shortly, stay tuned...
  4. ivanthetrble

Sep 9, 2002
    OK, here is my Dingwall service story. About a month ago I slipped on melting snow while carrying my Dingwall Prima 5. It hit the ground and cracked the body/quilt top by the bridge. I was needless to say, crushed! I e-mailed Sheldon the next day (a Saturday) with some photos of the damage and I had a response back within an hour, ON A SATURDAY! He has been great to work with getting my bass back together, helping with shipping and customs hassles with sending it back to Canada. People can argue the value of the more high dollar basses but I can't tell you how nice it has been to work with Sheldon in my time of need. Try getting that kind of service with a mass produced bass. :spit:

:D :D
  5. My experiences w/ Sheldon have also been excellent.
    We talked before i purchased my first Dingwall bass, then we talked alot while i was trying to dial in the neck. He held my hand thru the planning, decisions, and construction of the fretless Dingwall. Now we've been discussing my new Dingwall (yeehaw).

I've noticed that Sheldon has been extremely caring about you and your satisfaction w/ the basses and that his basses fit your requirements. He's bent over backwards to get me parts (special screws when my rear p'up screws popped out and extra E-strings when i went thru a rash of breaking string) I've not dealt w/ too many people in the service industry who have done this.
    Thats why i've had no problem recommending his basses (Heck i've bought 3 of them)
  6. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I deal with Sheldon & Barry Lamb almost daily in my day gig, and I count them among my favorite people to work with. Very quick to respond, always willing to work with people.

They also happen to make one of the most amazing basses I've ever touched.

7. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Roger Sadowsky is the same way, and I wasn't even anywhere near buying a bass. I just wanted to talk aesthetics and modifications, especially a Hipshot trem with him and he was more than eager to answer all my questions. No wonder I'm buying a Metro when I get the cash.
  8. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    you'll find barry to be a great guy, he recently moved to my area and i went up and played his basses several times. ive found that most lutiuers that put as much work into the customers as there works of arts are usally great people as well.
  9. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    How'd I know I'd find you in here.......

10. Fantastic

Another Dingwall thread To come with lots of very nice pictures for us all to drool over. :hyper:

Probably another excuse for Geoff st G to post a couple of his one to get us in the mood :D

11. ivanthetrble

Sep 9, 2002
    Just follow the sound of a grown man sobbing over his broken Dingwall. :meh: