1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Shelving?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jeffbrown, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Would someone please point me to, or begin, a discussion about "shelving"? I tried a search but all I saw in the first several threads were mentions in other contexts.

I'm not sure I understand the application. I want to safeguard my speakers and get an acceptable tone to myself and the audience at a useable volume level in most circumstances.

TIA to all.

Edit: I did look in the FAQs and found a description. How do you use this in real-world applications?

2. arai

arai Banned

Jul 16, 2007
    Low shelving increases or decreases the gain of all the frequencies below where the shelving frequency starts. High shelving is the same but it affects the frequencies above a certain point

seqefigure1shelf.l.

3. The fdeck hpf is such a device for the low end. Bargain priced and indispensable in a great many TB'ers rigs.

Saves speakers from excess lows.
    Improves reproduction of the tones your speaker can properly handle by eliminating the production of distortion overtones.
    Cuts mud in boomy rooms with boom addicted soundguys.