1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Shen 190 rib crack, thanks! Off to luthier

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Uncorked, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Uncorked

Uncorked Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2012
    Colorado
    I just received a used Shen 190 with an undisclosed rib crack. Purchased then shipped to me. Nearest luthier is 3.5 hours away, he guestimated $600 for a repair over the phone.

New to double bass so...

A) Im puzzled thinking that a laminate rib would have layers laid opposite each other, so how did it crack?... ok just had it explained the ribs are solid willow.

B) once repaired is always going to be weaker at that point?

C) If properly repaired, will it affect the tone?

D) I purchased this for $1000 less than most Shen 190's used are selling for. Good place, 20190911_144615. they are working with me for partial refund or return. If they offer to repair. Would you keep? I assume diminished value with a repaired rib.

20190911_144527.

Thanks

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  2. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

Apr 2, 2013
    Tennessee
    It might affect the tone, but typically it will be in a good way. It might add a shade of complexity to the tone.

If well-repaired, it should not substantially affect its value as a used bass. Knowledgeable bassists expect that kind of thing. It's the repairs left undone that spiral down a bass's value.

3. Michael Eisenman

Michael Eisenman Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Eugene, Oregon
    I bought my Shen SB-200 Willow Rogeri from my luthier, who purchased the bass from Shen as a second. It had a crack in the lower bout, farther north than yours. He fixed it and sold it to me about 10 years ago. It has been perfectly stable and sounds great. After the touch-up, unless you know it’s there, you wouldn’t know.

Uncorked likes this.
  4. Uncorked

Feb 16, 2012
    Colorado
    Thanks Michael, thats good to hear!

5. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    A properly-repaired crack affects neither sound nor value.

6. The 190s have solid ribs, do they not?

Willow is soft and fibrous. There are stories about relatively small cracks like that one traveling across the entire bout during sudden changes of weather.

Have it professionally addressed, and soon.

7. Uncorked

Feb 16, 2012
    Colorado
    Only luthier around (3 hours away) is on vacation till next week. Luckily its Bob Ross so hopefully it can be done soon after he is back. Meanwhile have it laying quietly in the room that's most stable for temparature and humidity.

8. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Commercial User

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    There are bass players who have cracked a rib, and those that are going to....

9. Their own, or those of an instrument?

Uncorked and unbrokenchain like this.
  10. unbrokenchain

unbrokenchain Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2011
    Asheville, NC
    Or those of the guitar player..

Uncorked and james condino like this.
  11. robobass

robobass

Aug 1, 2005
    Cologne, Germany
    Private Inventor - Bass Capos
    Both!

unbrokenchain likes this.
  12. Uncorked

Feb 16, 2012
    Colorado
    Took a flashlight and mirror and took a look around the inside and found what appears to be a glue line on the crack. Is this the typical repair? And I now know that this should have been cleated.. so a road trip to Denver is needed.

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP, TB DOUBLE BASS GURUS ARE THE BEST!

20190913_170458.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019 at 6:22 AM
    salcott likes this.