Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Shen 7/8 problems

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by jbwilso1, Dec 12, 2005.

1. jbwilso1

jbwilso1

Mar 26, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    I'm having some problems with my Shen SB200 7/8 Maple flatback. I need some advice on what I should do concerning repair/trade in. Here's a quick rundown:

About a month ago, a seam popped on the back from the endpin up to the rib on the treble side. The seam did not want to "move back into place." The luthier said that the back seemed to be too stressed (X-brace seems to be pushing outward on inside of bass). However, after some hide glue and several clamps this seam seems to be okay.

Next, about two days ago, while in rehearsal, the neck completely came off. Nothing cracked on the neck; however, the button on the back cracked down to the purfling and there is a one-inch crack on the front right under the where the neck would be.
    I have had the bass about nine months and have enjoyed playing it, this being my first carved bass. I am a student and have little income.
    Should this be something that the shop should cover? If not, how much can I expect to pay to repair? Should I get this fixed and trade-in to avoid future problems? Any advice/information would be greatly appreciated. thanks :confused:

2. When you bought this bass was it brand new? It sounds like the wood is just shrinking differently everywhere and it is self-destructing. If it is a new bass, the dealer and manufacturer should be notified. Have you tried to maintain normal relative humidity where you keep the bass at home? New wood dries out and braces on flatbacks are prone to causing problems due to differential expansion / contraction.

The neck coming off is just plain odd unless there was some stress or impact to the instrument. If it was not subjected to an unusually dry environment, there is little excuse for the behavior of this bass. It is also possible that it had a button crack that you couldn't see when you purchased and it that got worse due to playing / weather / handling.

The neck rejoin is a very serious repair and it sounds like you could also need a button graft to make it secure.

3. Charles Shores

Charles Shores Commercial User

Jul 26, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Owner: Guitar Barre
    I'm really curious, I'm thinking about buying one...

Where did you get it from, when, where do you keep it/what humidity to you keep it at, are you rough with it? Thanks

Chad

4. azflyman

azflyman

Apr 24, 2004
    Astoria, OR
    This almost sounds like it was constructed with green wood. I am pretty sure this is not the norm for a Shen bass but every once and a while I am sure there is one that gets through QC that sould have not been let go. The US Shen rep is here on the board and you should contact him for advise (John Sprague). I am sure he could help your situation. Shen basses do not fall into the CCB type basses. They seen to be well liked by all that own them.

az

5. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    Never, good sir. :) If Sam has anything, it's wood. He has been rotating 50,000 sets of tonewood for 15 years, so some of our instruments are reaching the ten year old point, which is pretty good for factory instruments.

I've asked Benji to get that bass into a shop, we're very interested in finding out how this occurred, and we hate to see players run into problems.

6. azflyman

azflyman

Apr 24, 2004
    Astoria, OR
    Any update o the bass?

az