Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Shen 7/8 Willow

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Gary C, Apr 30, 2004.

1. Gary C

Gary C

Mar 16, 2004
    Canton Oh
    Our local violin shop has a Shen 7/8 willow model in stock. I guess its new model for Shen. Has anybody else run into one who could provide opinions about this model?

I'm kind of interested in opinions about willow. Everything I've read in the archives seems to point to willow as dark and potentially wolfie and more suitable for orchestral applications.

I'd be more interested in jazz and blues and wonder about its suitablility for playing jazz pizz. Also, as a DB newbie...how would I check for and identify wolf tones. So much of my normal playing sound so bad that anything that doesn't sound right I automatically attribute to my technique. :D My teacher has played the bass and it booms when he bows it.

Any advice?

2. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    Gary, what you've read about the willow has all been claimed as true by others. I must say though that I played Barrie Kolstein's Fendt copies with the Willow backs and did not find them to be wolfier than normal. I also thought they had potential as jazz basses but the sound was definitely different.

To check for wolfs, I would play ALL OVER the fingerboard. I typically play chromatically on every string for two octaves and then do glisses up and down as well. It's usually pretty obvious when there are wolf notes.

I was also interested in the Shen Willow 7/8 flatback but when I went on a recent tour of shops, they were not yet available. I did however try some of the Shen roundbacks and found them to be pretty uninspiring.

3. Gary C

Gary C

Mar 16, 2004
    Canton Oh
    Thanks for the feedback, Adrian.I ended up buying the willow. I'm sure it will suit this newbie just fine. My teacher gave it a test and thought it would be fine so time will tell. It sure does seem big compared to my tiny Engelhardt EM-3. Gonna take a while to get my fingers spread out to the proper intervals. And I got a bow. So far I have no clue how to use it. New lesson material...

4. I have a kolstien fendt. I've had it for about a year now...and i have not found a wolf. Maybe itll show up..but thats a risk in all basses. Willow is a great wood i think. It is a pretty wood and a pretty bass. I have also ran into this Shen you speak of. Great bass....whats the price?

5. Gary C

Gary C

Mar 16, 2004
    Canton Oh
    I certainly like the look of the big willow. Everybody who has seen it so far thinks it an old bass and are surprised to find out its new. I guess I should post some pics soon.