1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

shen oil varnish question.

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by jmpiwonka, May 4, 2006.

1. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    i have a shen willow bass with an oil varnish, it is real shiny.
    i just saw this shen willow bass and i'm curious if the varnish is duller (more appealing to me) because it is different or if it was not polished or something.

any comments.

[​IMG]

2. Farin

Farin

Oct 19, 2004
    Akron, Ohio
    Take it away John.... ;)

3. Steve Swan

Steve Swan

Oct 12, 2004
    Burlingame, California
    Retailer: Shen, Sun, older European
    "Shiny Shens" sounds like a folk trio from the '70s. Both 200 series Shens that I recently received have a fairly clear but thin varnish finish that allow the grain and color details show through. The frosty look in the photo reminds me of some of the spirit varnish Wilfers that I've seen. I like the look of either treatment.

Steve Swan

4. The oil varnish on my Shen is not the same as whatever is coming on the current ones, as mine was purchased white and finished later, but I can say that the varnish has "dulled" over the years, although it can be polished right back like new. I just never bother, because I'm lazy and neglect my bass. :oops: But I think oil varnishes in general get sort of softer and warmer looking as they age...

5. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    Hey Jmpiwonka,

I think you're seeing the typical variance in our oil varnish. Paul and I were talking about this yesterday, how all these willow basses have their own personalities so to speak. Often times they do have some shine to them, which you can expect to dull some over the first year. That's what we've been seeing with local players' basses. The ones that have more red with the brown tend to have higher gloss.

Also, the bass pictured is a roundback, not flat. The flatbacks are definitely glossier appearing on the back.

6. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    ok thanks John, my bass sounds real nice, i was just curious if it was differences in the varnish or if they rubbed it out some or something to make it a little less shiny.
    mine is a flatback, i guess i'll just have to let time do it's duty.