1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ
  2. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

For Sale Shen SB-150

Discussion in 'For Sale: Double Basses' started by vanselus, Dec 30, 2018.

1. vanselus

vanselus Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Price:
    Strings:
    Shen SB-150 3/4 hybrid in great condition - punchy, articulate, and speaks well. Only selling due to picking up another bass and not needing two.

This beauty has lived in a humidified house after being purchased from Robert Ross here in the Denver area in 2009. Well acclimatized to the Colorado environment and gigged fairly regularly. Currently strung with D’Addario Hybrids and comes with a gig bag and I’ll throw in a fiberglass French bow as well as a stand if you want them.

Fantastic tone and a very playable neck. The action is super smooth thanks to quite a bit of fine tuning by Mr. Ross. He had it in the shop again for a tune-up just a few months ago and gave a completely clean bill of health after freshly dressing the fingerboard. The only marks I can find is a few thumbnail scratches off the E string. See pics. Questions just let me know!

48A1478E-7564-45B5-84F9-E9B0098881E7. 1AB7237F-288E-4FCB-951C-C71F30D74D75. B667DB5C-8C6B-47DE-8FEB-06C1DC3067AC. 6FDA8E54-1F7B-4A94-A942-A23E5BBF004B. 0574DE84-6542-40AE-93B4-620BA3B4F2EF. 99759664-4222-4E96-86A1-13E2C9CBE351.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
    Chad Michael and Hans Gruber like this.
  2. Can you clarify what you mean by "playable" and "fine tuning" with respect to the neck?
    Is it now closer in diameter at the half-position to, say, a Kay bass neck, than the stock Shen neck?
    What, in other words, did Mr. Ross do to the neck, besides dressing the fb?
    Thank you.

3. vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    To my knowledge nothing was done to the neck but it’s definitely not a baseball bat. To me it seems very playable but not slim like the Kay’s I’ve been around. Happy to measure if that helps! Sorry for the implications in the text, what I was referring to was fingerboard work once the bass settled. I’ll make that more clear.

4. Jim Dombrowski

Jim Dombrowski Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    PM sent

5. Hans Gruber

Hans Gruber

Jun 18, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Man, what a great price for a great bass. Found an SB88 for just a few hundred less last weekend. Wish I was near! (Brian S, speaking)

vanselus likes this.
  6. vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    This bass is now consigned with Robert Ross in Denver and thus can be seen there. Let me know if you have questions!

7. Hello,
    Sorry I couldn’t figure out an efficient and economical way to make a deal.
    I appreciate your efforts, and your alerting me to a similar bass being offered here.
    Good luck.
    - richard

8. vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    No problem Richard, thanks for the luck :) It’s never an easy proposition to ship a double bass, and it was fortuitous I noticed the same bass in your state! Hopefully we find a Colorado buyer at some point. Be well!