Shen SB100 String Search - Attention SB100 Owners, please chime in!

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by pre-cbs, May 31, 2018.

1. pre-cbs

pre-cbs

Mar 2, 2007
    San Diego
    Hi,

to all SB100 owners - What string have you found to get your SB100 to sing?

I've reached out to John at CSC and he explained that they add an additional laminated layer to the top, and I quote ...

"Something that gets noticed by luthiers is we use a thin ply and then thicken it in spots with an extra layer in a manner that simulates the graduations of a carved top.

It has been our general feeling that brighter strings work well with our plywoods, or any plywoods for that matter."

... so please post your favorite strings for your SB100.

thanks in advance!

Last edited: May 31, 2018
  2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    The one in my office sounds great with Spirocores.

3. I have a Shen SB 180 and it sings with Spirocore Weichs

4. Jon Mush

Jon Mush

Jun 3, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB
    Caveat: Mine’s a Chadwick so it’s not really a direct compare.

3/4 Spiro Lights (3885W) on mine have tonnes of life arco and pizz—and if I’m reading you right, should be the best starting point for that singing tone. Just pick the tension that works for you. I also tried Zyex medium (ADG) as well and found them to be quite nice (louder from the drivers seat, slightly less overtones, and a bit harder to bow), but overly fragile on my travel bass. (I don’t believe it’s an issue on ‘regular’ basses). It really depends on what speaks to you.

I play bluegrass/swing/country and prefer a darker, thumpier pizz, which is my version of sing. That being said, I really liked Innovation 140B on mine for a darker pizz, and a nice airy arco sound as well.

5. BobKay

BobKay Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2012
    Estero, Florida; USA
    Sorry for the thread de-rail, but Jon, your part in Tim Neufeld and The Glory Boys is really entertaining. The Hootenanny Tour promo, and the Legend of the Glory Boys is fun to watch.

OK - back to your regularly scheduled programming now.

Max George and Jon Mush like this.
  6. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Nashville TN
    spirocore lights or mediums

Steve Boisen likes this.
  7. redwookie

redwookie Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Chicago
    Spiros should sound great on that bass. Guts are good too if you are up for journey.
    I have 2 SB80s. My understanding is that the SB100s have a nicer looking top laminate but are otherwise the same bass. The older SB80 has an random mix of guts which sound really good in the mix (horns, guitars, drums). It is my favorite player at the moment. The newer SB80 had Spiros. Excellent strings for bow or pizz on that bass. That bass sounded good enough to impress my instructor at the time, he commented frequently about how good it sounded. For slapping however, Spiros are kind of harsh so I switched to Eurosonics which are good amped but acoustically have a metalic sound to my ears.

8. Nate74

Nate74

Mar 3, 2007
    DFW
    I put Corelli 370M's on mine and have been happy. Though 99% of the time I'm playing amplified for drunk bar goers.

Dan55 and jallenbass like this.
  9. mark286

mark286 Proud to be a Gold Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2009
    Central New Jersey
    I have two Shen SB100s - one regular, and one is a Chadwick.

The regular SB100 has Innovation Super Silvers which sound great for the Bluegrass that I play -- short sustain but good note definition on the lower strings. The Chadwick came with Spiro Weichs and is much brighter sounding. The Super Silvers are low tension and easy on the hands but really hard to bow, so I practice arco on the Chadwick.

10. Josh Kneisel

Josh Kneisel

Jun 17, 2016
    Arizona
    I've always liked Spiros

11. Slightly off topic- my Cleveland New Standard plywood came with Spiro Mittels, but sounds way better with guts - currently got a set of the cheaper gamuts (Red Diamond) on there.

I like Spiros A and E and maybe D, bit that spiro whine on the G makes me want to give up bass when I hear it!

12. Super Iridium

Super Iridium

Jan 21, 2013
    I have an SB-200, and I use Flexocor Deluxe.

13. How do you like the Flexocor Deluxe A and E strings?

Sam Dingle likes this.
  14. Selim

Selim Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2008
    New York City
    Loved them (the whole set actually) on my former bass, a 50s German shop bass.

On my current bass, I like them under the bow -- I don't have a problem starting the A and E as some have reported, but those 2 strings are kinda too tight for pizz on this bass. I'll use the D&G on top of Spiros as a compromise.

So — bass specific in my experience

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
  15. Super Iridium

Super Iridium

Jan 21, 2013
    Personally, I think they work fine. They have a nice thick gauge and they are still flexible under the fingers. They also feel balanced with the D and G. I’m not the greatest player, but I think the set works very well together.

16. HateyMcAmp

HateyMcAmp Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Queen City of the Plains
    Krivo Pickups
    I have an SB80, so a similar comparison. My bass / setup very much likes low-ish tension. It has sounded best with Velvet Blue and downtuned Spriocore 4/4 Solos with a Eurosonic Medium G. While I’d generally say the blues were a brighter, both had a clear and thick tone with good volume. Don’t need to jack these sets up high, either. The Spirocore Solo G/A isn’t a viable pizz string on my bass and didn’t match the rest of the set, way too easy to overplay and hard for my pickup to track.

I have found that heavy strings like Spriocore Mittels or Helicore Medium choke the bass. Evah Slaps (all synthetic) couldn’t really get the top moving acoustically unless they were at a really high string height, but they played and amplied very nice. I haven’t really given gut a shot on this bass, but the two gut G string blends I tried (Gamut Lyon with the Blues, Evah Slap gut G with the otherwise complete set of synthetics) weren’t better than the full sets of either string. I’d really like to try a set of 4/4 Spiro Weich next, this bass seems like a good candidate!

17. Dan55

Dan55

Apr 26, 2006
    Atlanta
    I have Corelli 370s on my SB150. I like them better than the Spirocores I had on it originally. A bit more flexible and punchier.

Dan

18. I have a SB 100 ,I had Helicore orchestral originally but switched to helicore hybrids and it really made a huge difference in volume and tone.

19. pre-cbs

pre-cbs

Mar 2, 2007
    San Diego
    Hi,

Which tension do you like with the heli hybrids?

hi

20. I use medium, but I've never tried the light or heavy to compare.