1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

shenandoah compak 300 for DB?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by tito mangialajo, Oct 23, 2010.

1. tito mangialajo

tito mangialajo

Feb 1, 2006
  2. Rvl

Rvl

Dec 23, 2003
    Aomori Japan
    I like that the head has 3 Di's
    Ch 1 , Ch 2 and mixed

Sorry , havent tried the amps.

Thanks

Robert VanLane

3. tgrant

tgrant

Nov 7, 2005
    Middletown, VA
    I played on a borrowed 60LT for a festival once. It was a bit underpowered (60 watts/ 2X8 speakers) but, I remember that the amp sounded nice. I had PA support so the power wasn't a big deal. The attached picture is of that gig. It's behind me on a stand.

Attached Files:

• GB.bmp
      File size:
      114.4 KB
      Views:
  4. powerbass

powerbass

Nov 2, 2006
    western MA
    Bump, anyone tried this amp? Has 2 channel input. Could be a good amp for DB as a doubler

5. David Morris

David Morris Supporting Member

May 22, 2002
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    This is an acoustic instrument combo - primarily for guitarists. Based on Genz Benz's published specs, (65-20K Hz) it does not appear to be designed to handle bass instruments.

specs from the 2010 catalog

6. agedhorse

agedhorse SUSPENDED Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    The Compak 300 indeed was designed to handle acoustic bass. The 65Hz rolloff of the cabinets is reasonably gradual and smooth, the 8" rolloff slope is a bit quicker than the 10". With the extension cabinet, the rolloff point slides down to about 58Hz due to coupling and added baffle area. I have talked with several players who use the Compak 300 for both acoustic bass as well as cello. One used the Compak 300 10" combo on top of a Shuttle 12" extension cabinet for touring jazz gigs and had no problem whatsoever with lack of low end. In fact, too much low end on stage can be a problem and often it's better to let the PA handle the <80Hz material and let the amp handle monitoring duties on stage.

Another application I can think of (in a touring situation) was a player who took the 8" combo out, used the amp with a pair of larger cabinets (may have been Uber 112's) on stage (rockabilly) then picked the combo up and took it to the hotel with him to practice during the day as they were still learning the material while touring.

7. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Now that I am doubling, I have been curious about a 2 channel amp. I'm using my Shuttle 6.0-12T combo right now and it seems to handle the pickup from the NXT EUB just fine.

8. David Morris

David Morris Supporting Member

May 22, 2002
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    I'm glad someone who actually knows what he is talking about chimed in to set those of who don't straight. That is great information - I'm going to check with my local G-B dealer and see about trying the Compak 300.

9. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I hate to check. I really loved my Shuttle 3.0-10T so I'm guessing I'd really like this. I have sworn that I would keep my same amp for one year to help rid myself of G.A.S.

10. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    So how would this amp handle my 5 string electric on gigs for some smooth jazz stuff?

11. powerbass

powerbass

Nov 2, 2006
    western MA
    What interests me is the ability to dial in mic and pickup for DB. Can each channel be sent to individual cabs? Would this even be a good idea/possible to send the pickup through one cab and the mic through another?

12. Has any body tried to see if the SHENANDOAH COMPAK 300 Head slides and screws into the Shuttle 3.0-10T housing?

13. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I tried this with my NXT EUB last night at rehearsal and it sounded noticeably better than my 6.0-12T combo. Less honky. My electric sounded pretty nice, too.

Not sure if it's loud enough though - especially for my horn band gig. It's tempting though. I love the look - the brown looks classy. Wish it had a Mute and I don't know that I need the effects. I guess a Shuttle 3.0-10T might be a better choice.

14. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Has anyone tried this with a DB yet? I've searched on youtube but there's nothing.