Shergold basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by superbassman2000, Mar 16, 2006.

1. Hi There!
    I was looking at and i think these basses look kinda cool...does anybody have any info on them? do they still make them? etc?

2. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    I know Peter Hook (joy division, new order) plays/played Shergold. But that's all I know. :meh:

3. No shergold stop making guitars quite a while ago, I think that Norman who made um has passed, I worked in a unit next to his about 15-16 years ago and he had stopped making them then, and was making kitchen cabinets, shame, he was quite the inovator in electrics and even body styles.
  4. thats what got me interested...the body style...i thinkit looks like a wal, which would be cool, because it would be an affordable wal-looking bass, and also those modules are pretty cool, and a cool innovation at that :)
  5. clavefa

clavefa Te Traigo El Tumbao

Mike Rutherford of Genesis , Mike+Mechanics played one also.:bassist:
  6. anyone else know of their availability in the states?
    actually i just want the body :)
  7. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    Genesis > everything that's not Genesis
  8. He was a cool bloke, happy to talk to you about his guitars, showed me round his workshop which still had many guitars hanging up, some signed by famous players, it's what first made me wanna make guitars.
  9. I bought a neck from Norm Houlder not more than a year ago.He was living in England at the time.I hope he hasnt passed, HE IS A GREAT GUY!!!
  10. :crying: I have to know,are you sure Norm Houlder has passed?
  11. zazz

Feb 27, 2004
    the wals were definitely inspired by shergold....the early ones especially!! and rutherford played the double neck shergold.....hooky only played the baritone shergold6 ...but the shergold 6 is the sound behind bluemonday.

recently a shergold6 sold on ebay for about 6000 usd !! i know because i was in the auction. ....get em while you can because they aint no more...luckily they were built to last...true british they play well god only knows but rutherford was one of my favorite bassist before he lost the plot along with the rest of genesis and they sounded damn fine then.
  12. JDGA fan

JDGA fan

Oct 9, 2003
    I think it's Jack Golder who has passed away (mid-90's maybe). Jack and Norman were the guys behind Shergold, starting in the 70's, and were heavily involved in British guitar building before that (Hayman, Burns, etc.). I think it was Jack who was responsible for the woodworking side of things. Shergold basses and guitars, including necks and bodies come up from time to time on ebay in the UK. It's fair to say that Norman is getting on a bit, but I had not heard that he had died.
  13. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    This Shergold on eBay is in terrible condition, but at £ 365 I'm sure it may be a very positive experience to make it come back to life.

Shergold basses were very innovating, unfortunately they did not meet the success they deserved.
  14. It could be that as I just heard quite awhile ago that "the shergold bloke" (as my mate said it) had died ,I assumed it was norman, which now seems wrong hopefully.
  15. Thank goodness!:hyper: Norm Houlder as I was told by him,was the tooling and building guy.He also moved on to work for Status and, some others.He sold me a bass neck He said he made for Bernie Goodfellow.It;s really nice too.I kinda consider him a legend.:cool:
  16. JDGA fan

JDGA fan

Oct 9, 2003
    Paste this link to the Shergold website ( to take you to an obituary for Jack Golder (d.1992). I'm sure it would have something similar for Norman had he passed away, so I would guess he is still alive and kicking somewhere (and hopefully enjoying his retirement).
  17. never been so glad to be wrong :hyper:
    just read quite abit off that link, wow, I never knew they were so involed with just about every english company/guitar ever built. these guys realy were very cool.:cool:
  18. Like I said,LEGEND!:)a Living one at that.
  19. HeathW,I see you are in Essex,So is Norm.