1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Shergold Modulator bass.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bass since '73, Jan 9, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Bass since '73

Bass since '73

Jun 14, 2014
    I'm looking for a Shergold Modulator bass - can anyone help?

2. RickTang

RickTang

Aug 7, 2017
    are you still looking and how much would you be willing to pay? can I also ask why in particular are you after the modulator?

3. Skybone

Skybone

Jun 20, 2016
    Scotland
    HaphAsSard likes this.
  4. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    Skybone likes this.
  5. RickTang

RickTang

Aug 7, 2017
    unfortunately mine is a four-string, though why you would need an 8-string I do not know looool

6. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Because with an 8 string, you can make that incredible "Thwrang" hammer of doom sound. Why else?

Skybone likes this.
  7. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Didn't Shergold make those bolt-together interchangeable double necks Mike Rutherford played in Genesis? I'm pretty sure I saw him playing one in the 70's after he retired the doubleneck Ric. I think it was a 12 string guitar/4 string bass assembly, but you could swap out 1/2 bodies. Must have been heavy as hell, but Mike's a big guy, looked small in his hands.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
  8. jdthebassman

jdthebassman Suspended

Jul 11, 2010
    I picked one up this past Christmas all I can say they are awesome. mine came with module 3 and 5. I have no use for an 8 string but if you are able buy it do so. these basses will become major collector items in the future. I have never seen one in the states, bought mine from a collector in Italy. it is the first year they were made 1976 # 10. maybe we should start a shergold club?

9. matizman

matizman

Nov 19, 2011
    This was my bass . I bought it new in 1981 and it was sold end of December 2017. I wonder who bought it ? I keep looking in case the new owner posts any pictures

10. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    Seller's remorse or simple curiosity? I couldn't blame you either way. It is gorgeous. I'm not entirely sold on the Hayman/Shergold uber-utilitarian looks of the modular 'tronics block (reminds me of vintage industrial machinery or '60's sci-fi), but within the context of this bass and its beautiful burst it just works. The headstock is perfect, its outline and the stringpath-straightening bolts. Overall the instrument is very elegant.
    (I know, rubbing salt and all...)
    How did it sound?
    Oh, have you already tried asking on basschat.co.uk?

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  11. matizman

matizman

Nov 19, 2011
    No remorse because I had not used it for 30 years . I went back to Bass Direct a couple of times before they sold it and found that what I missed was not the bass but the smell of the case !Looking back I don't know why I bought it but I suppose it was unique . I played it finger style so it sounds like a 4 string with that slight extra tone . You mainly hear the low string with a "hint " of the extra octave . It actually sounded pretty good when slapped where both strings are more equal ,although it did not stay in tune for long . If you play octave chords ie 4 strings you can get really powerful sounds .
    You probably need a pick for it's true sound but I was not a pick player.
    You are correct in your comment about elegance although some features are questionable such as the huge Perspex bridge and the module . Also "ye old English script on the scratch plate and head stock . But it is well made and finished , the styling is uniquely Hayman / Shergold like no other bass. Without asking directly it would be fun to stumble on a post about it .

DeliriumTremens and HaphAsSard like this.
  12. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    Ha! Agreed... :D

13. Papazita

Papazita

Jun 27, 2008
    Ohio
    Just don't get sick on it...

14. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    Doesn't look like they make them anymore, sadly. Loved the sound of Mike Rutherford's (Genesis) but that was a double neck, which doesn't suit me. They should make a 4 string that sounds like that bass! Maybe like this?
    https://images.search.yahoo.com/ima....crumb=cL7Es/D3Iup&fr=tightropetb&fr2=piv-web