Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

sheryl crow

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by DeepDeath, Apr 16, 2002.

1. i just saw her on TRL when i was flipping channels, she had a les paul bass with paint like eric's "cream" sg and it looked like she was using mesa boogie or kustom cabs. she had a nice pick tone, sorta like woody's tone.

2. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    That is a Guild Thunderbird bass I believe. Her band also has a thing for older guitars that are out of the norm. Recent VH1 special had both an SG of some sorts and a EB-3 bass.

3. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    This is the "Bassists" forum.

4. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I just saw her too, complaining about how her clock is ticking and she feels like she's missed the boat on a family. I said out loud, "I'll give you a family -- I'll sell you my ****** kids."

5. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    off to miscellanious

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Why? She's a Bassist, among other things.:confused:

7. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Are you trying to make the "favorite standup comedian" list?

8. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    *siren goes off* AAHH-ROOO!! AAHH-ROOO!! EMBELLISHER'S QUESTIONING A MODERATOR IN PUBLIC!! AAHH-ROOO!! AAHH-ROOO!!

:rolleyes: :p

9. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Citizen's arrest, citizen's arrest!!!

10. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Since she does play bass (among other instruments) for a living, that makes her a bassist.

Sour grapes, anyone?

11. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Haha, you must be trying to make that comedian list too.

12. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    She played most of the bass parts on Sheryl Crow and the Globe Sessions as well as writing the songs from the latter on bass.

She's played bass on 2 albums more than I have and I'm a bassist. BTW I write on guitar.

13. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Nope. I a well educated, full time professional musician, who's worked with world class musicians for a long time. And I'm serious. She's played solid bass parts on many albums, all of which have solid groove, good sound, and are both musically and commercially viable. On top of that she wrote the tunes, and sang them - in addition to playing other instruments, and (if I'm not mistaken) doing some of the engineering, mixing and producing. I say that's pretty much a musician as well as a bass player.

What have you done?

Cutting off another's head does not make you taller.

14. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    But if he's a mod...then...ouch..I just hurt my head...:p

15. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    So, are you trying to cut off my head or what? Look, I was only joking about Sheryl Crow, although when I hear her name "bassist" does not spring to mind. I have no sour grapes about her success. I wish her well.

What have I done?
    Well, I am a well educated, full time professional musician, have worked with all sorts of musicians, and I have been doing it for longer than you. I am also the "house" bassist for ZeroHour Productions. I am a member of two bands, and I currently teach two students.

16. I just wish she hadn't gotten plastic surgery (again?)

Does anybody in this country know what a 40-year-old woman actually looks like anymore, between hair dye and plastic surgery? 50?

17. ...About 6 1/2years ago.
    It was outside at the old Worlds Fair park.
    She played guitar, bass, and even an autoharp.
    When it started raining, she just kept playing getting soaked like the rest of us.
    Great concert, Fun night!!

18. is this thread going back to bassist or are you guys gonna keep arguing for a blantant thing? shes a bassist and belongs in the bassist forum.

19. jvasquez18

jvasquez18

Sep 23, 2000
    S.E. 323, 13
    she played bass on a late night show. or SNL i don't remmeber. it was an acoustic bass. but i don't remember what kind was it. not to disrespect any mods but cuz people don't seem to know.

20. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    My point there is simple, and I won't bother with the comparison to me, as it is irrelevant. What you have done is literally nothing in comparison with the person we were discussing. Being the bassist in a lounge band, and working in a project studio is really nothing compared to 3 or 4 multimillion selling records, is it?

As I read this back, I realize that I sound fairly stinging in my reply - I don't mean to be. My last comment, which I believe to be my most important, begs the question - what do you get from (even jokingly) disparaging another person's work?