1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sheryl Crows bass / Danelectro Big Horn

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by steve2, Apr 3, 2006.

1. steve2

steve2

Sep 23, 2001
    Piney Flats, TN
    I was watching Sheryl Crow in concert this evening on satellite channel Rave. I heard a unique sound from the bass. Pretty much sounded like a deep guitar. (maybe it was). Just wondered about the Bass was it a Danelectro Big Horn.

Thanks

Steve

2. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    TB rule:

You cannot mention Sheryl Crow without posting a pic.

3. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Her last tour or two she's been really partial to an old Kay. Couldn't find a pic of her with it. Mostly just turned up the Guild she used to play. Roger Fritz of Fritz Bros. Guitars has started building again, though, and is doing a version of that Kay she's been playing. Here's a pic of Darryl Jones playing one:
    [​IMG]

4. ArwinH

ArwinH run rabbit run

Dec 1, 2005
    Southern California
    I played the same exact model guild sh's been playing, yesterday at a shop. Strung with flats, shortscale and low tension with flats on it. I'll have to plug this week when I pick up my jbass from some setup work. I use to GAS over that bass; now, not so much. They also had an epifani 310 that looked pretty dishy though :)

5. steve2

steve2

Sep 23, 2001
    Piney Flats, TN
    This was played by her bass player and was used in just one song on the concert. I think the concert was 2004. I have never seen a Danelctro longhorn played but it seemed to have a unique sound. On ocassions she did play the Guild.

Steve

6. haxality

haxality

Feb 14, 2006
    If the Danelectro Longhorn sounds anything like the DC, then I imagine it could've been one. Did it have, well, longhorns?

7. steve2

steve2

Sep 23, 2001
    Piney Flats, TN
    Yes it did have long horns. However I have never heard one played that I know of and it defiently had more of a treble sound. I dont remember the song but he used a pick with it and the rest of the songs he used his fingers.

Steve

8. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    The bass i've mostly seen her with was an old sunburst Precision.

9. haxality

haxality

Feb 14, 2006
    Danelectros tend to be very trebly, since they use lipstick pickups.

10. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

I think you confusing her Kay bass with a Danelectro.

11. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Zombies...the good kind...
    Some sort of nice growly EB Music Man relic here...nice work Sheryl! Love it.

12. msb

msb

Jul 3, 2002
    Halifax,N,S. Canada
    Lipstick pickups , and Danos , have a real nice deep thump if you want that , especially after the strings have been on for a while .

13. If someone is going to post a Sheryl Crow pic it must be from 7 years ago when this thread was started. Kthnxbye

14. Hues

Hues

Nov 27, 2012
    see Burn Notice
    Don't know the year....But...
    sheryl_crow_bikini_03.

For more details on her Kay....
    sherylcrownews.com/gear/basses/kayk162.html

15. Teacher

Teacher

May 3, 2012
    My pants just got tighter.