1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

she's back...my p bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by origami, May 3, 2006.

1. origami

origami

Jun 26, 2005
    Big D TEXAS
    i played this 1977 fender p-bass from approx. late 1991- early 2005 probably at 100's of gigs. over the past 5 years i have either played with just the neck on a different body or the body with a different neck, and i completely retired her for almost 2 years.

no more, i decided to send her to a shop and get her all fixed up. neck cooked and straightened, new 1/4lb pick-ups.

she purrs again!!!!

happy me :hyper:

Attached Files:

2. hey thats a nice bass:), what wood is the body made out of?

3. basspunk2005

basspunk2005 Guest

Jan 31, 2005
    thats really nice:D

4. origami

origami

Jun 26, 2005
    Big D TEXAS
    wood type. alder i think? maybe ash, but i don't think so.

i know a lot of late 70s basses were ash or even walnut, but she's not that heavy (for a 70's bass) so i suppose alder. i had a black ash 78 p-bass that was an boat anchor.

:) i love her. some basses just "feel" like home. they just don't build them like they used to. she's taken many for the team. when i was young and dumb, i used to let her ride around in my car trunk with no case. hee hee.

the original owner regretfully beat her to death and actually is responsible for some of the road wear. i was going to install the old p pick-ups but the original pick-ups were easily plagued by neon, RF, etc... the original owner put the tacky brass bridge and knobs on there, but i like them anyway.

when i retired her, i was using the 'F' tuners on my geddy jazz (the MIJ were crap), but i put them back on the p-bass to make it as original as possible to how i bought it.

can't wait to gig with her. nothing sounds quite like a p-bass thru a 15" speaker!

5. origami

origami

Jun 26, 2005
    Big D TEXAS
    here are some extra picks!

6. Skepp

Skepp

Apr 6, 2006
    Awsome, one thing is "missing" maple fretboard :p nice bass man!

7. origami

origami

Jun 26, 2005
    Big D TEXAS
    the steve harris iron maiden p bass i have takes care of the maple fretboard thing

8. zackattack

zackattack Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2006
    San Francisco
    One of the nicest basses I've ever played belonged to a teacher of mine, it was a walnut P with gold hardware and a jazz bridge pick up. Words cannot describe the ammount of growl and clarity that thing had. And harmonics just seemed to ring out! It seems there impossible to get hold of though :/

9. Hye great looking P Bass. I have an 80 US made p bass with an active emg which i ma using through a 150 watt trace elliott combo with 1 x 10 in an enclosed bin type arrangement, while quite puchy it just doesn't quite get that lovely warm p bass sound. I am considering adding another cab (it has another apeaker jack so you can run 2 8ohm cabs which also means the amp runs at full power.

My question is what speaker confic would work best a 15? 2x10 4x10 horn? what do you guys think?

10. zackattack

zackattack Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2006
    San Francisco
    "lovely warm"

A 15. It'll get you the classic sound that you're looking for.

11. sedan_dad

sedan_dad Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    Nice bass.Looks just like my old Precision except mine had a maple neck. It had a really fat neck that I didn't like too well.Sold it like a fool.Keep an eye out for it.S/N 407994.
    Funny how you remember those things.

12. nice man, i really love the 1970's brown with black pickguard precision basses. thats a great bass you got there and i'm gasing hard for another p bass.

that steve harris bass is to die for as well man, great collection.

13. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    +1. When I had my Skyline Glaub, it sounded so huge and smooth through my B100R. It could also get a great overdriven growl if I messed with the EQ and gain controls. Is it weird to have GAS for a bass I just sold? :rolleyes: