She's come back to and all!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jacochops, Aug 20, 2004.

1. jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    Here's the story.....sit back with a cup o' coffee. This is gonna take a minute!
    Well, back in about 98 or so, I ordered a Lakland 44-94 and needed it QUICKLY for a tour I was doing, so I called up Dan Lakin and asked him what painted bodies he had on hand. He had a Classic model (alder/vintage Fender finishes) in.....(drumroll please....) BURGUNDY MIST METALLIC! One of my all-time favorite finishes, and super rare! I don't think I've ever seen another BM Lakland except for a jazz bass. So, this is on a Friday. Here's the real kicker...I asked Dan if they could shave the neck down to j bass specs (1 1/2 at the nut). He has Carl Pedigo start working on a birdseye neck, and the bass was finished the next Wednesday! I'm leaving at 5 on Friday. The bass arrives at 4:15 on the brown truck! The bass had a fantastically peppered birdseye look to the board, and the bass came with a pearloid pickguard. The neck was SUPER comfortable at the nut. It was the baddest looking Lakland I had ever seen, and I had owned my share! I had one of the first Laklands (serial # 19), and this was every bit as nice!
    In a raging fit of stupidity, I sold it. I'm sure no one here has EVER done THAT before... ;) I was waxing poetically about this particular bass the other day, thinking that someone who had scored the snazziest Lakland of all time was loving it to death. I was surfing the net and lo and behold...THERE IT WAS!! On the Bass Palace site, in flawless nearly unplayed condition! Just as the first time I laid eyes on it, it made my eyes bug out! Soooooooo, out came the ATM card, and a few minutes later, it's on the way back to me!
    It should be here tomorrow, however....I have no idea how to post a pic on this site! Could someone go to the website and post a pic of it here so all may bask in its vintage pinkness?
    Thanks to whomever could do this...I just stopped scratching on cave walls a few months back!
  2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Let's see if this works.

3. jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    You da' man!

Jenderfazz, Ditto!
    Maximum 60s pinkness!!

Opinions, y'all?
  4. I want that bass

I need that bass

I will have that bass... well maybe not :D
  5. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Pink is very nice on a Lakland. I'd have to get her back too if I was in the same situation!

6. Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    oh my :eek:

give it to me.
  7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Pencil necked and pink. OK, good!
  8. Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    oh man

man. I need that bass. Bad.
  9. Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV

For a guy who has such fine taste in 4's (Nordstrand) and amplification to boot, I gotta say I'm a little bit lost on this one. Maybe it looks a little less pink in real life?

Then again, some people dig salmon, seafoam green, shoreline gold, and fiesta red...I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder...not that I'm the final arbiter of good taste or anything.

If you feel it, I feel it, baby! I'm sure you're making it sound verrrrah nice.

Did you get the fretless 5? Diggin it?

10. ((((ahem))))

11. not_jason

Aug 4, 2004
    pink pride! (granted, mine sucks)

one of my favorite looking basses of all time is a fender of that exact color that yours is, but with a matching headstock. if only it wasn't grossly overpriced i'd own it by now.
  12. Lakland with pickguard = super sexy!

Awesome looking bass, I'm sure you'll have lots of fun with it!
  13. Old flame reunion story. Everybody now...

14. jefframm

jefframm Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2003
    And here I was thinking I was the only guy that owned a Burgundy Mist Metallic Lakland!

I've got a 1998 BMM 55-94 with a rosewood board that is my main bass. I always loved that Fender custom color and Dan's basses are just an awesome thing to put that color on.

My church band has named him "Pinkie". Nice to see that there's more of them out there.

15. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Very nice! I love Burgandy Mist. I'm having one of my US Curbows refinished with a BM top--should be done any day now. :hyper:

You're lucky you got through to Bass Palace. I left them a voicemail, and never heard back from him about a MIJ '62 reissue PBass. My money was no good, I guess. The GAS passed, though. :D

Enjoy your new/old baby and don't ever sell the stupid thing, again. :rollno: ;) :D
  16. waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    So.... did you have to shell out more than you sold it for?

If it comes back, it was meant to be...played loud. :bassist:
  17. When the pictures first started popping up into view, I was thinking it wasn't going to be my thing, but when the pickups and knobs came into view, I really dug it. Interesting, first finish I've seen where hardware really made a big difference on the look (at least for me). Anyway, super nice, I love the Lakland body shape. *sigh* Everyday, more G.A.S and less money. :scowl: