Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

She's here - Fodera content

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jerry J, Sep 5, 2003.

1. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    She got here yesterday and I literally haven't been able to put her down.

I truly believe that I caught Jeff in a weak moment just after he got his incredible Nordstrand SC5. (Thank you so much Jeff!!! And Carey for creating such a wonderful bass so that Jeff was weakened) :eek: Jeff felt that he just would not get the opportunity to play the Monarch.

This bass belonged to Jeff Rader and when he got it I was so taken by it. When I first saw Jeff's photos my jaw actually dropped. I just couldn't imagine such a beautiful bass. I was so enamored by the Koa top. It just looked so perfect. I had been wanting an VW Monarch ever since I'd played the first one at Morgan's, in Garland.

I made a few trips to Dallas, recently and got a chance to visit Jeff. It was a brief visit but I got to play the Monarch and of course the Nordstrand. That just made it worse so I had to sell some stuff, that was very dear to me, to make this happen.

This bass IS everything that I had imagined and more. It really plays itself. The neck is so fast and comfortable. There is no fatigue.

I wish that I was a wordsmith, like Joker, so that I could convey just how incredible this bass really is. The Pope/EMG is so very nice. I was fooling around with what little Marcus Miller stuff I can play(in my dreams) and I was amazed at how much I was able to cop that tone. Then I just roll the blend toward the neck P-type pickup roll off the mids and highs, and I can get sweet reggae tone. Then it's got this incredible finger-funk think on the bridge pickup. Then back, favoring the neck pickup, it's got a very smooth bluesy thud. It's almost impossible to make this bass sound bad, even with my poor technique. Although, through a Demeter/PLX/Epifani T310 rig, every mistake is apparent. So really the only way that I've found to make it sound bad is to let me play it. :D

I know that this has been very difficult for Jeff to let this bass go. He has been unbelieveably great to deal with. We discussed being able to keep the Monarch in the TB family. I think that this made it a bit easier on Jeff.

Jeff, I really appreciate it so very much.

[​IMG]

2. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    As Tracy Morgan might say, "Sweet like bear meat!" Congrats, Jerry. :D

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    That looks aweosme! Now we need sound clips :)

4. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Hey I didn't know that was Jeff's bass...I wish I would have known so I could have maybe snagged it! I hope my monarch turns out as well...

5. Congrats, Jerry! That is one truly beautiful Fodera. I'll bet it plays wonderfully and sounds better. Enjoy.

6. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Thanks guys!

I'm really VERY overwelmed by this bass. It feels so natural. But I don't even begin to do it justice for what it is capable of. I've not had any luck producing any sound clips but I will give it a try, again.

There was a thread, awhile back, about the value of the Fodera's. I don't want to feed that fire again but this bass is beyond belief. Well worth every penny.

There is just a special magic that guys like Vinnie and Joey build into a bass. This is the same magic that I've found in Roger Sadowsky's, George Furlinetto's, Mike Tobias', and Bill Conklin's work. There just seems to be a love for the craft that they've tapped into. This is also the stuff that Carey Nordstrand is producing, judging from the brief time I got to play Jeff's SC5.

It may not be the magic that everybody is looking for in a bass, but I, personally sense that love for the craft that they have put into their basses. It just rings my bell. And ultimately, that's what counts. An instrument that is going to inspire me to play my best. I have a long way to go to play this bass the way that it should be played, which works for me.

7. matt essay

matt essay

Dec 28, 2002
    Healdsburg CA
    That is quite the fodera.

I hope you didnt sell that Fodera imperial 6 string to get it.

8. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    :D No I still have the Imperial. That one isn't going anywhere.

That bass gets played once a week. It's a little rough on my wrist if I play in the lower registers too much because of the 36" scale. But I work on my chording. And it is such a fun bass to play. I've heard it played the way that it should and I'm working toward that goal.

It was really funny when I sat the Monarch's case next to the Imperial's case. There was about 6" of difference in length.:eek:

9. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    Jerry, sweet!!!!!
    man,, i just took in a Fodera and i have to admit , they are killin basses, meaty tone, and they feel very solid- congrats on yours! - if it weren't for my deep love for my F bass, i would be in trouble wanting to keep this Emperor..

10. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I've played 5 or 6 Fodera's and only one completely turned me off. The others have been bad motor scooters. This one has been the best of the bunch.

But I am with you all the way, Adrian, on the F's. I've only played my BN5 and it still does it for me in a big way...as does my Sadowsky. Life is just too short to not enjoy playing these basses. And I make time to play them all.

11. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
  12. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Congrats! Looks like a winner to me. You should be able to do some serious thumpin' on that one. :D

13. I'm glad you are enjoying the bass! It was certainly not an easy decision to let it go, but I'm glad it landed in good hands!

Jeff

14. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Awesome bass, Jerry J. I've not yet had the pleasure of playing a Fodera:( I'm kinda scared to. Looks incredible. Congrats!!!