1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SHES HERE!!! YES!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Microbass, Feb 7, 2003.

1. OMG!! I'm so glad I never bought a fender!

Gibson Grabber! She's a booteee!!!!
    For a 30 year old bass, she's in GREAT condition!
    There's a hole on the lower horn where I guess some guy tried to put a new strap button, i can see that's been filled up..
    The frets are pretty low, but action is still awesome!
    SHE LOOKS INCREDIBLE!!! I lvoe this thang! yeehaa!

Needs a setup, but thats cool..

I need some advice, right, the saddle screws are really big, and rusty.. So ya think it won't be a problem with new screws? (same size of course!)

I LOVE THIS!
    I'm going to give her a clean and full going over tonight/tomorrow, and I'll post pix later!!!

:D :D :cool: :cool: :)

2. Sorry

But you can't start a thread like you have without giving us some pictures;) :D

Later is not a good enough excuse :D

3. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Cool - a bass older than yourself!

I've only played one bass older than me - it was crud! A no name pseudo P copy!

My Guilds come close, and the fretless one has similar marks showing a strap button had been added at some point by a lefty!

Anyway - get 'er sorted and gets the pix on!;)

4. OK, still not got pix, sorry :(

Inspecting without taking 'er apart:
    Bone nut :D

Original tuners - Fantastic. They are solid. She was pretty much in tune by the time she got here!! A bit of oil maybe to make 'em a bit smoother.

Headstock 'Gibson' decal has been removed :mad:
    Unorignal trussrod cover... Nothing to much to worry about!

Item #00184150; she's 24 years old; 1976. There's a date stamp on the heel of the neck I will chekc out soon

Sliding pickup, it's actually really not bad! I've been able to get a P-bass tone with the pup in the p-bass position. I'd say it's quite versitile, while using the tone control.

Output; she's still loud! I haven't tried her on my main amp, but on my practise amp I got a good clear tone. Warm, some punch and plenty bright. Nice lows too!

Frets are pretty worn, but still got some decent amount of play, and I don't really do bends, so thats cool.

Neck; needs cleaning! A bit sticky, but feels nice and is pretty fast!!

Vintage bridge; pretty cool. I don't like the saddle screws, I'm gunna change those. They are very sharp and don't use allan wrenches. A bit rusty, I'll try cleaning that up!

Body/neck have wear on them, neck has some dunts in it, same with body; but at leats the actual finish is still there!!

There's a hole on lower horn where I'm guessing someone tried to fit a new strap bottom; what on earth were they thinking?!

The strap button under the upper horn is a lot better than I thought, strap hasn't come off todya, and I have been rockin' out ;)

These are absoulutly awesome basses; I lvoe the look! I dig the sound, will be even better once I get some slowounds on her!! Or LoBeams, Or the Rotosound nickels.. mmm!!!!!

I LOVE THIS BASS!!! :D

5. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    ummm... it's 27-28 years old if the date is correct. i guess in all the excitement you thought that it was still the year 2000... :eek: :p

congrats a nice vintage bass and get those darn pix up already! :D

6. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    So, how do your parents feel about you dragging home a beauty twice your age? :p

7. Aight, here's some pix!! I didnt manage to get lots of good ones, maybe some more for ya's tomorrow! :)

Tsal, they think I'm nutz :D

8. Here's another!

9. I love Grabbers

Nice pics, she looks lovely.

10. Me to, Will :D :cool:

11. You're taking me back, Micro. I used to have a G-3 and that body looks awfully familiar. It seems that there's more and more talk here lately about old Gibsons. :confused:

Good luck with her.

Mike

12. All the talk probably has something to do with me :D

She's really wonderful. Like a vintage P-bass, imo!!

13. Nice! From the way back machine. I used to have one of these and a Gibson RD Artist. That was one great bass too!

14. The pic's are excellent. Congratulations on the bass it looks a goody. Hope you and your older girl have a long and fruitful relationship!!;)

15. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    [​IMG]

wow! great bass.. AWESOME cord too!! it goes THROUGH the bass!? sweet! :D

DM

16. LOL!! NO, no it doesn't go thru the body!!

Its just I put some tape around the cord to try and keep it at a curve and stop it from getting getting tight, it bends down and goes inbteween strap + body.. hehehe ;)