Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

She's here!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Woodchuck, Feb 15, 2002.

1. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Well, my Eshenbaugh J5 finally arrived yesterday! How's this for customer service? Mark was going to FEDEX it, but his wife went into labor. I totally understood, but since he promised it yesterday, his dad DROVE down from NC to deliver it. Is that cool, or what?! Anyway, she's quilted walnut with an alder center and Madagascar rosewood fingerboard, and a preamp of the gods! This is truly the best bass I've ever owned, and was very much worth the wait. Hopefully his basses will be in the next shoot out in BP. If anyone needs proof, if you're in Atlanta and have a gig coming up, I will personally bring it to your gig, and let you use it. This thing is AMAZING!. I hope you like the pictures.

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    cool - i like the little headstock-cutaway-thingy. sorta convenient little hanging hook for when you're outta stands :D.

seriously, it looks very cool. i think it's high time that we here in atlanta had another bass player get together. way too many axes to show off, all around :D.

3. G

G

Apr 12, 2000
    MI
    Man, Woodchuck... You always find the most neato stuff. Very nice bass. We all expect a review of course.

I wish I lived in Atlanta... :(

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Well, Woodchuck, IF that is your real name... I know I'M jealous. Congrats! :)

5. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Here's a better pic.

6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

OMG, what beautiful wood! Did you chuck it yourself?? :p j/k... congrats!

7. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Very nice. I played the one they had at GC in Atlanta, and I liked it. I'd love to check yours out.

I'm all about another Atlanta Get Together. I won't have my new Curbow 8 for a couple of months, so we'll have to have one then, too. And, Siff should be getting his new Curbow Jazz in a month, or so.

I will have a new rig for the get together, though. I'll bring it along.

See here:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=39612

Congrats on the Bass, 'Chuck, it looks tasty. I really dig the angry bird headstock. That thing could double as a bottle opener with no problem.

8. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    So what's the preamp got going then?

9. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Sweet!
    Nice bass 'chuck.

10. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    The preamp is the epitome of "user friendly". It's a custom made preamp, so I was able to say what I wanted in it. The bass has 2 switches on it. One is a bass boost, and the other actually kills the preamp and gives you an incredible Jazz bass tone. Inside the cavity are 3 small knobs. One contures the lowend, another boosts the mids, and the third one expands the mids (250, 500, 700). It has 2 volume knobs, one for each pup, pup selector, and 3 tone knobs. You can literally mimick the majority of the basses that are out if you wanted to. Even though it has a Madagascar rosewood board, you can boost and expand the mids and get a VERY close maple type brightness for slapping, and still keep the warm lows thanks to the harder type of rosewood that Mark used. As for playing this through my Super Redhead, geez, don't get me started! They're constantly improving the preamp. Check this out: some guy bought a J5 last year, and since they redesigned the preamp, they called him and told him that they'd install the new redeisned one for free, because they want ALL of their basses to be at the peak of performance. Now I understand why Carl hired him and gave him his blessings on his own bass line.

11. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
  12. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    And the headstock. Note the grain pattern of the walnut looks like an exploding valentine. :cool:

13. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'm diggin it! How much extra did the bottle cap opener on the headstock cost? Seems to me like a usefull option. :)

14. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    LOL! That's a $4500 option! :D

15. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Hmm - interesting preamp. Doesn't sound like what I would design, but then, it's not for me! :)

Very nice looking bass!

16. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Thanks. Keep in mind, Robert, who works there, will get with each person and discuss preamp desires with them. This was what I wanted.

17. That's a nice looking bass. The headstock almost resembles Ritter headstocks.
    So, tell me more about this Atlanta get together. With Woodchuck, JT, and Dave Siff in one room I would be able to taste the funk. Not to mention Bassmonkee with an 8 stinger.

18. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Where's it gonna be?

19. Good question. It's just a matter of who has a big enough house to host the thing. I'd be happy to have everyone and their basses over, but my place is just too small and I don't have a suitable room to put all the basses out on stands, set up a couple of amps and let everybody try eveybody else's stuff!
    JT and Lisa Weiss have been nice enough to host them in the past. I think Hambone had said he was interested in hosting one. In any case, we should start throwing a date around to see what's best for everyone. I vote for sometime in April, 'cause hopefully Curbow will have finished my Jazz bass by then!
    Oh and by the way.. nice Eshenbaugh, Woodchuck! I'm hopin' you can make the next get-together, 'cause I think I speak for everyone when I say I want to check out your bass collection! :D

20. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, you need to load up the ole' 'chuck wagon with your basses and mrs. 'chuck and 'chuck it on over to .... wherever we're having the next one :D :rolleyes:

april might be bad for me - how about may?