Shielding a bass guitar tips?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by fakeneckplate'65, Sep 14, 2017.

Tags:
  1. In the next couple of weeks I intend to shield a Rickenbacker 4003. I love the bass, but, it was so embarrassingly noisy during a rehearsal, that I haven't taken it back.

I fully intend on using Stew-Mac conductive paint & painting several coats, as instructed, as well as using copper tape on the pickguard.

Has anyone used conductive paint with good results? Some folks claim the copper tape does a better job?

Thanks,

2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

Whatever you do, do not buy any shielding supplies from Stew Mac, especially their paint. If you want to use paint, use MG Chemicals Supershield. It is a far superior product in terms of performance and durability (and price). Get your copper from Amazon or Ebay, just make sure you get conductive-adhesive or double-side copper tape. You will not notice a difference in performance between copper and paint, at least with Supershield. The difference really comes in when you are applying the material. I much prefer paint because it will not lose adhesion over time and it is much easier and quicker to work with. I do still use copper in my jobs, however.

I have done my share of shielding work. Pretty much everything I know on the subject can be read in the thread linked in my signature. Bear in mind that your Ric probably has single coil pickups that may not be wound to buck hum. Shielding will not impact 60hz hum and humbuckers will not relieve RF interference.

9mmMike, Geri O and fakeneckplate'65 like this.
  3. I " think " it's an RFI issue. @ my bandmate's practice space, there were certain areas I could angle the bass that would yield almost no hum.

4. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    I prefer the MG Chemicals shielding products to copper foil. There are a few variations from MG, some of which are really expensive - like $400 per litre. Their cheapest is carbon-based and runs about $35 for a 12 oz. spray can. Prices run up from there for nickel, silver plated copper or silver particles in acrylic, water-based urethane or epoxy.

DiabolusInMusic likes this.
  5. john_g

john_g Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    So which one would you recommend?

6. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    I like nickel in a water-based carrier. Even the carbon-based one works well if applied thoroughly.

7. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

I also use the nickel aerosol variety. They do have a small brush-on option as of recently. They previously only had $400 gallons.

8. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio!

Jul 3, 2001
    Santa Ana, Calif.
    Former Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Whether you use paint and/or copper, remember that it has to be bonded electrically to the cable shield--IOW, to the sleeve terminal of the cable jack.

Geri O likes this.
  9. MarkoYYZ

MarkoYYZ Commercial User

Jan 31, 2012
    Toronto
    Hammersmith Music
    We use the nickel stuff also. It may be $40 but we get about 8-12 basses from each can, so it's not expensive overall. It's way faster and easier than copper tape, which we only do on the back of pickguards.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021