Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Shielding a control cavity question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by JMN357, Mar 6, 2005.

1. JMN357

JMN357

Feb 24, 2005
    Im am going to be shielding my control cavity and I wanted to know whether I should get the self-adhesive copper shielding or the non backed type that one glues in themselves. Ive heard good and bad for both so i want to know what you people think.
    P.S. If the non adhesive backed is the superior what glue should I use?

2. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Get the self adhesive. Some versions have conductive adhesive so you don't even have to worry about the overlap areas.

3. I bought a roll of conductive adhesive backed copper tape from stew mac(http://www.stewmac.com ). It worked great. No RF interference, no buzz.

4. I get my adhesive backed copper from the stain glass suppliers. For about $6 they have offer a 12" square piece of heavy pressure sensitive copper foil. Then I can cut it to shape. The adhesive likely isn't conductive but it IS heat resistant so you can solder it easily. But I don't even do that. I came up with what I call the "rivet" method of connecting overlapping pieces. I take a sharp pointed tool like the end of a compass and make a series of small pricks along the seam of the overlap, piercing both pieces. This mushes the copper together and you get a nice contact between the pieces.