1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Shielding a control cavity question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by JMN357, Mar 6, 2005.

1. JMN357

JMN357

Feb 24, 2005
    Im am going to be shielding my control cavity and I wanted to know whether I should get the self-adhesive copper shielding or the non backed type that one glues in themselves. Ive heard good and bad for both so i want to know what you people think.
    P.S. If the non adhesive backed is the superior what glue should I use?

2. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Get the self adhesive. Some versions have conductive adhesive so you don't even have to worry about the overlap areas.

3. I bought a roll of conductive adhesive backed copper tape from stew mac(http://www.stewmac.com ). It worked great. No RF interference, no buzz.

4. I get my adhesive backed copper from the stain glass suppliers. For about $6 they have offer a 12" square piece of heavy pressure sensitive copper foil. Then I can cut it to shape. The adhesive likely isn't conductive but it IS heat resistant so you can solder it easily. But I don't even do that. I came up with what I call the "rivet" method of connecting overlapping pieces. I take a sharp pointed tool like the end of a compass and make a series of small pricks along the seam of the overlap, piercing both pieces. This mushes the copper together and you get a nice contact between the pieces.