Shielding a G&L L-2500

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by mgmadian, Mar 8, 2003.

1. mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    This is a 1999 model L-2500, and the control cavity has no shielding paint, so I took it into a guitar tech to get an estimate on how much it would run. He said anywhere from $50 to $150, depending on whether they'd need to shield the actual pickups themselves, in addition to the control cavity.

Apparently, he'd put foil inside the pickup cases, and also paint the control cavity to do a thorough shielding job... he also said that most of the benefit of shielding in general actually comes from shielding the pickups, which is more labor-intensive, hence the upcharge required if the pickups themselves would need to be shielded.

Couple questions:

1. Anyone know if the MFD pickups on an L-2500 or L-2000 are shielded?

2. Is this guy just yanking my chain? Is shielding required for pickups, especially the MFD ones in an L-2500, or is this unecessary?

3. Do these rates seem reasonable, or pretty high? This guy's fairly well-respected around here (San Francisco), but that's reaaaallly not saying much... most guitar techs in the Bay Area are questionable at best.

4. Has anyone done their own shielding on an L-2500 or L-2000. If so, how'd do you do it, and how'd it turn out? Right now, when I remove my hands from the strings, I get a slight buzz, which I'd love to get rid of.