1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Shielding a P pickguard

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by BillMason, Aug 30, 2008.

1. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
    I want to buy a new black guard for my P bass, but I have a new tort one, and the new ones are not shielded. Whenever the tort guard is on, I pick up hum in certain places I play. No problem with any of my stock pickguards, which are shielded.

Question is how do I go about shielding these pickguards? I know you can buy copper tape - I've heard it is difficult to work with, and the sharp edges can cause severe allergic reactions if they cut you. I was given a little bit of 1/2" copper tape and put some of it on my tort guard, but it still hums a bit - I didn't do it as completely as Fender does for the stock guards in the factory, so that's likely why.

I also have some wider tape that is used for sealing duct work, I guess it is aluminium, not sure what it is made of. I have quite a bit of it - would it work?

Why the heck doesn't Fender shield their after market pickguards if they shield the stock ones?

2. Sheild the inside of your cavities, pups and electronics, and underside of pick guard. For a good sheilding product I've used some from allparts.com. I doubt you'll get an allergic reaction but I've never cut myself using the stuff. Just work slowly and be careful about the edges. If that does not work than try reworking the bridge ground wire.

3. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
    I don't want to shield the cavities, because the stock guards don't require it, only the aftermarket ones.