1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

shielding a single coil?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ejm customs, Nov 4, 2006.

1. ejm customs

ejm customs

Apr 27, 2006
    I just bouhgt a '51 p-bass reissue and it hums a bit. I am not used to this as all other basses I own or have made employ an active humbucker. I've read elsewhere that shilding the pickup cavity with fix this. True? I really dig the tone of the single coil but can't stand the noise.

2. 1kinal

1kinal Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2006
    Montreal, Qc. Canada
    Endorsing Artist: SIT strings
    Not sure if it will take out the noise totally, but shielding is definately a good idea. Just get some adhesive sheilding tape and cover all the area under the pickup and in the control cavity under the pots.

3. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Shielding will help, but you will always get some hum. That's why they invented humbuckers ;)

You will learn to keep a hand on the strings between songs to kill the hum.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 22, 2021